Barred Rock... Late bloomer or rooster?

Shezadandy

Crowing
7 Years
Sep 26, 2015
Portland OR
All the chicks are 15 days old today.
One of the Barred Rock chicks has been much slower to grow feathers... On day 10 it was the only one left with the cute baby chick fanny.

Here are 2 pictures, first from Day 10 and then Day 15 (today).

Anyone have this happen? Are we looking at a late bloomer or is this likely that "10% chance of rooster" in our all-girl order?

DAY 10:

DAY 15:

Possibly the comb development would help to identify the gender but at that age, its not easy to decide. If the comb is more developed than its siblings, then it may turn out to be a roo.
CT

From the first pic I would have said pullet, but those are some wider white bars. do you have a pic that shows the legs?

I'd say at 10 days, it's a little early to tell for sure -- though I have noted in my chicken raising that growth patterns can vary between pullets and cockerels, but I'm not familiar enough with that to be of much help here. I had one chicken I was sure was a rooster until she nearly laid in egg, lol.

I'd say at 10 days, it's a little early to tell for sure -- though I have noted in my chicken raising that growth patterns can vary between pullets and cockerels, but I'm not familiar enough with that to be of much help here. I had one chicken I was sure was a rooster until she nearly laid in egg, lol.

I agree! I treat gender guessing more of a sport than a science. There always seems to be one that bucks the trend in every hatch that i have
smile.png

Hi all and thanks for the input! Here are some closer photos of the 2 barred rocks legs from today (chicks are 15 days old). To me they look about the same. It will be interesting to see which way it goes!

Pic #1- the buff tries to get in all the pics. The chick on the far left is the one whose feathers are on track, the chick to the far right is our Late Bloomer/possible cockerel. The REALLY dark legs in the back belong to the Australorp.

Pic #2- Feathery BR on the left, Late Bloomer on the right

Pic #3: Late Bloomer legs

Pic #4: Late Bloomer close up #2

I agree, I don't see male... Comb development looks the same in comparison to the other; a cockerel would have a more prominent comb already...

More feathers will help, so we can see if there's male barring. If they were checked in the first few days, they would have been easier to sex by the spot it ring on their head, but its too late for that now :(

Also, a cockerel will have BIG feet, and there wouldn't be so much "wash" on them.. I'd say pullet, but its with a 10% comb-might-trick-me margin of error ;)

I'm thinking they're female.

I'd like to see a bit more dark on the legs on the late bloomer, but the dark is present. Most cockerels I've had that are pure barred have no dark on the legs, they're a bright yellow. I think she's just hatchery quality with her coloring and possibly won't have the nicest barring as an adult, I've had a few birds like that. They're still wonderful layers, though.

Back
Top Bottom