Barred Rock... Late bloomer or rooster?

Madisan, Wow, that is a huge difference in the comb, and the multiple thicker white bars throughout the wing. As of today, day 28, I don't have any big difference between the BR combs and it does seem like Late Bloomer is beginning to speckle out more as the days go by. Thank you so much for posting the pictures of your chicks, beautiful and very helpful! Late Bloomer, Day 28 Other BR chick, day 28 Together, day 28 (also fun because everyone paired up by the other speckled sussex)
Yes I love a barred rocks they are such beautiful birds. :) I am 99% sure that your late bloomer is a pullet! I'm glad I could help you. Also another difference between mine is my cockerel is developing waddles and my Pullet has yet to start getting hers in !

Here are my two as of yesterday.

At that age its entirely guesswork. as they mature the males will be mostly white with black stripes.and the females will be mostly black with white stripes. As they reach 6 weeks its incredibly easy to tell.

Late bloomer has legs of a pullet. There is a gene that makes them feather out slower. If it is cockeriel it must be BSL.

Thank you for the information about the slower to feather gene! So far Late Bloomer still has the black wash legs and as of today, 31 days, no comb development. Looking good so far.
The tail feathers are still extremely short and s(he) is still only about half the size of the other same age chicks. Today seems to be neck feather day. =)

While the other BR chick put on a bunch of muted feathers much more quickly, the newer feathers are much more vibrant (mostly neck right now) The Late Bloomer seems to be going straight for the vibrant feathers.

Late Bloomer far left, other BR bottom right.

Late Bloomer, Day 31

Late bloomer is a pullet!

Hi juliechick!

We're on day 41 and pullet-hood seems more and more likely. The two BR chicks have somewhat different combs but at almost 6 weeks we haven't seen anything resembling Madisan's beautiful cockerel. It is also becoming more difficult to tell which is which if they're perched or roosting, though now the 'cool kids' have found the highest pole. Thanks for having a look, and here's hoping she stays a she!

Late Bloomer, Day 41

Other BR Chick, Day 41

Back
Top Bottom