Barred Rock... Late bloomer or rooster?

Looks like girls to me. I know my hatchery barred rock took forever to grow in her feathers! She had me guessing for a while! Mine doesn't have yellow legs like she's supposed to either, but she's now my best layer :)

I agree, I don't see male... Comb development looks the same in comparison to the other; a cockerel would have a more prominent comb already...

More feathers will help, so we can see if there's male barring. If they were checked in the first few days, they would have been easier to sex by the spot it ring on their head, but its too late for that now
sad.png

Also, a cockerel will have BIG feet, and there wouldn't be so much "wash" on them.. I'd say pullet, but its with a 10% comb-might-trick-me margin of error
wink.png

Hi shortgrass, here are a couple snaps of them at 2 days old just after they arrived. I couldn't tell you which was which at that age and they're a little fuzzy from all the scampering about.
Thank you the additional tips about the feet and combs!

Looks like girls to me. I know my hatchery barred rock took forever to grow in her feathers! She had me guessing for a while! Mine doesn't have yellow legs like she's supposed to either, but she's now my best layer
smile.png

Good to know! There's definitely a pronounced difference now. Before one shot out a bunch of feathers it was almost impossible to tell which was which. Pretty sure these came from Meyer as the shipping label was Polk, OH. Very much looking forward to our first eggs!!

I'm like to see them again in 2-4 weeks
Will do!
I couldn't see on those other pics; I'm blind as a bat with a tiny phone ha-ha ;) But this set is good! There's a chick sticking out. It looks like the same one in all 3 pics; bottom left on first pic, center top on second, and left hand side on the third... The pattern in the wing feathers is VERY significant; how it's a straight line across the entire wing; watch that one, it may turn out a cockerel ;)

The 2 day old photos (post 12) aren't great but it seems one BR had a bigger white spot (but still pretty tough to know which was which- there are 2 BR, 2 Australorps that are all blurry dark chicks).

Now looking at day 6 pictures, the chick at the top has those soft little bars just barely visible but the bottom chick (late bloomer/possible cockerel) had a solid white line. The plot thickens!

OK Here are day 25 pics from a couple days ago. Figure I'll update once a week or so in case anyone else is looking for comparison shots at various ages down the road.

The "Late Bloomer/possible roo" is now about 1/2 the size of the other 9 chicks, including the other BR.

Late Bloomer/possible roo, day 25:

Same Late Bloomer/possible roo BR chick, day 25 (top view):

Other BR Chick, Day 25:

Together, day 25.

Late Bloomer bottom right, other BR directly above.

I think your chick is just a late bloomer but I may be wrong. Pullets look more "speckled" at this age. I will show you my 3 week old barred rocks. I have 1 pullet and 1 cockerel. My cockerel also has a larger comb now.

You can see the difference in the feathering
3rd pic is the pullet

Last edited:
Madisan,

Wow, that is a huge difference in the comb, and the multiple thicker white bars throughout the wing. As of today, day 28, I don't have any big difference between the BR combs and it does seem like Late Bloomer is beginning to speckle out more as the days go by.

Thank you so much for posting the pictures of your chicks, beautiful and very helpful!

Late Bloomer, Day 28

Other BR chick, day 28

Together, day 28 (also fun because everyone paired up except for the other speckled sussex)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom