Barred Rock... Late bloomer or rooster?

"Late Bloomer" seems to be the self appointed leader, now pecking everyone at feeding time and allowing only 2 buff orpington friends to sleep next to her/him, driving all others away.
Also the only chick to take issue with the 'chicken in the mirror', taking the stance (s)he walks around with all the time now.

"Late Bloomer" Day 59

"Late Bloomer" seems to be the self appointed leader, now pecking everyone at feeding time and allowing only 2 buff orpington friends to sleep next to her/him, driving all others away. Also the only chick to take issue with the 'chicken in the mirror', taking the stance (s)he walks around with all the time now. "Late Bloomer" Day 59
Still looks 100% pullet to me! :)

Still looks 100% pullet to me!
smile.png

Yes, me too! As we approach 9 weeks with nobody crowing or growing bright red combs, I'm starting to actively hope that I got 10/10 pullets, 2 each of 5 different breeds. Maybe this will be our hen-roo...
big_smile.png

Yes, me too!  As we approach 9 weeks with nobody crowing or growing bright red combs, I'm starting to actively hope that I got 10/10 pullets, 2 each of 5 different breeds.  Maybe this will be our hen-roo...   :D

There will always be a more dominant hen. She is probably just going to be the boss hen!

Still looking like 2 pullets here in week #12.

Late Bloomer (top, both photos) has a more vibrant look while the other (bottom, both photos) is more faded, but both still have little pullet combs. Late Bloomer is tentatively named "Bonnie the Beak" for her I'm the boss attitude.

Still looking like 2 pullets here in week #12. Late Bloomer (top, both photos) has a more vibrant look while the other (bottom, both photos) is more faded, but both still have little pullet combs. Late Bloomer is tentatively named "Bonnie the Beak" for her I'm the boss attitude.
100% pullet lol

celebrate.gif

Probably safe to say we managed to get incredibly lucky and have 10 out of 10 pullets, all 13 weeks of age!
Late Bloomer really was a late bloomer, and while they're hatchery quality, she's the one that got the super pretty face and big eyes. Now comes the wait for the first egg!!

Late Bloomer aka "Bonnie the Beak"

"Other Chick" - no name yet

Definitely worth the wait, and thanks to everyone who helped!!!

wee.gif

Both chicks are now laying pullets and started around week 22.

Bonnie the Beak's are brown and Betty's are pink. I put Betty's egg next to a green egg from an Easter Egger to try and show the color:

You can see my barred Rock pullet and cockerel and how big they are now! Still waiting for my first egg from my pullet. But my cockerel is a big pretty boy now with a loud crow! :)

Back
Top Bottom