Barred Rock vs. Marans

chicknadventure

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
southeast
Ok, I bought what I thought were 2 BR, but they look slightly different. At first, I put it towards being older/younger, but I JUST found a pic of a black and white marans hen (this is from the internet, mine are still babies)

and now I am wondering if maybe I got one of these by accident? The breeder had at least 50 chicks that were supposedly 8 weeks old in one bin. I just grabbed 2 that looked like BR's.

Are there any distinguishable things that could tell me if the other is a Marans, other than laying an egg :) Like leg color?

And yes, I can go get pics, but probably not til morning. my hubby might think I was insane to go out and get a chick at almost midnight... :)

I am having the same situation . We bought three BR all at a few days old and one is black and white but totally different feather patterns... actually most exquisite looking, but I think she is a he because of the comb he/she is growing. They are all almost 11 weeks old now and I'm worried that the one who might be a ROO will fertilize my hens and trying to find out when I will have to separate the male from the females. Good luck

I think marans have white legs, and rocks have yellow legs. Barred birds are usually pretty crisply patterned, cuckoo birds are a little muddier.

I am having the same situation . We bought three BR all at a few days old and one is black and white but totally different feather patterns... actually most exquisite looking, but I think she is a he because of the comb he/she is growing. They are all almost 11 weeks old now and I'm worried that the one who might be a ROO will fertilize my hens and trying to find out when I will have to separate the male from the females. Good luck
oooo post some pics if you have them! the people here are amazing!

Yes, MArans have white/black legs and I think a smaller head! LOL! In my experience they do not look as barred as youngsters...having more black with white spots rather than black and white stripes......If that makes sense! Here were 2 marans that I have when young.

And BRs have yellow/black feet and come in more striped! Like my mumford here!

Hope this helps! P.S. I love both, BUT BRs are my fav!!!!

Here was my maran cockerel at 4 weeks. He had pink legs with no black wash on the front. His legs were turning white.

92b672a4.jpg

I took him back and traded for the last remaining pullet from the same shipment. She has much more white on her now then this pic.
19d9a0d5.jpg

The only difference between the two are leg and egg color. BR's have yellow legs and cuckoo marans have pink/white legs, marans lay chocolate colored eggs and BR lay a lighter brown eggs. Both breeds have the same feather color/concept. This is the cuckoo maran only.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom