Barred Rock vs. Marans

chicknadventure

Songster
7 Years
Apr 3, 2012
southeast
Ok, I bought what I thought were 2 BR, but they look slightly different. At first, I put it towards being older/younger, but I JUST found a pic of a black and white marans hen (this is from the internet, mine are still babies)

and now I am wondering if maybe I got one of these by accident? The breeder had at least 50 chicks that were supposedly 8 weeks old in one bin. I just grabbed 2 that looked like BR's.

Are there any distinguishable things that could tell me if the other is a Marans, other than laying an egg :) Like leg color?

And yes, I can go get pics, but probably not til morning. my hubby might think I was insane to go out and get a chick at almost midnight... :)

I am having the same situation . We bought three BR all at a few days old and one is black and white but totally different feather patterns... actually most exquisite looking, but I think she is a he because of the comb he/she is growing. They are all almost 11 weeks old now and I'm worried that the one who might be a ROO will fertilize my hens and trying to find out when I will have to separate the male from the females. Good luck

I think marans have white legs, and rocks have yellow legs. Barred birds are usually pretty crisply patterned, cuckoo birds are a little muddier.

I am having the same situation . We bought three BR all at a few days old and one is black and white but totally different feather patterns... actually most exquisite looking, but I think she is a he because of the comb he/she is growing. They are all almost 11 weeks old now and I'm worried that the one who might be a ROO will fertilize my hens and trying to find out when I will have to separate the male from the females. Good luck
oooo post some pics if you have them! the people here are amazing!

Yes, MArans have white/black legs and I think a smaller head! LOL! In my experience they do not look as barred as youngsters...having more black with white spots rather than black and white stripes......If that makes sense! Here were 2 marans that I have when young.

And BRs have yellow/black feet and come in more striped! Like my mumford here!

Hope this helps! P.S. I love both, BUT BRs are my fav!!!!

Back
Top Bottom