Barred Rocks Good Shepard Poulty Ranch

A leading breeder of barred rocks in England asked me to send him a picture of what I thought a good typed Rock should look like.

He comes on here now and then to read our posts. So I thought I would post this picture. This was cut done by Schilling in 1944 I am sure it was touched up some by Schilling but it had to be his model for the Plymouth Rock Standard cuts in the last period that he did for the APA standards in the 1950s.

Hope some of your Rocks look like this some day. Noticed the fully furnished tail. I hope we see this on our Barreds in the near future. bob

Last edited:
boy this thread sure died?

Hi Bob, yes not too much activity. I'm just trying to survive the heat and have my birds do the same. We in the SW have been experiencing an extended heat wave with no relief in sight, hottest June on record I believe. I held back 2 Good Shepard Barred Rocks I got from Matt last year for breeding. First one was throwing a bunch of crooked toes chicks. I culled those at hatch, but now that the ones I kept are bigger, I see that the outer toe on a lot of them is bent, I think it is the same problem, just not as severe. I switched males and got only 1 curled toed chick out of over 40, so it was the first male at fault. I butchered him and he dressed out at 7.45 pounds, including giblets and feet. Sold him to a lady processed and when she saw him, she said "he looks like a turkey!" because the carcass was so big and nice big legs. She knows how to cook an older bird up right so I think she will be pleased with him. He'd been sitting in a 4'x4' pen by himself for a couple of months instead of running all over the place, so that should help.

chicken5.jpg

This thread needs a jump start so I am going to show you a Sewell picture used by E B Thompson in some of his ads in the 1920s in Plymouth Rock Monthly and the Poultry Triubune. The current Heritage Barred Plymouth Rocks that are coming out of Kansas are direct desendents of this line. It is the oldest line of true Barred Rocks in the country. There are now two others who have this line and hopefully next year there will be about five more. The are breed for high egg production, tasty meet and great Heritage Looks or type.

Would you like to have some of these dual purpose Barred Plymouth Rocks?????  Ask me how you can get some.
Amenia is 20 minutes away from where I live. Are the lines still in this area? (Completely new to the world of chickens; currently have hatchery chickens; 3 are barred).

In the interest of thread momentum...
wink.png

(and I have not posted here near as much as on the Heritage Fowl thread), I figured I would show some pics of my ringlet BR hens from Jwhip's line (his breeders originally come from Danny Williamson/Good Shepherd years back) for those perhaps new to the thread etc. too.

I, too, have been busy as ever keeping my birds comfortable in our ridiculous AZ heat wave...also, got 13 1-2 week old chicks (Buff rocks and few Orps) I am brooding in this crushing heat....they are in my laundry room in 2 separate tub brooders with a 65 watt red bulb from noon to 8pm...LOL...too precious to risk losing in this heat...don't think they would appreciate my misting system quite yet
big_smile.png
. My family (teenagers) complains every time they go in and out of there...I say how can you complain about such darlings??? they don't get it of course. That's fine. They don't need to. They will be back out in the garage or outdoor shaded brooder once the temps don't go much over 100 and at least go down to 80's at night. It's HIGH MAINTENANCE season here. You better love birds if you live here, cuz man oh man it's more work than fun in the summer.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom