Barred Rocks - head gear

Where did you get your "barred rocks" from and can you post pictures of them?

If your hens have combs like this then they are probably dominiques rather than barred rocks. Do your hens and cockerel all have yellow legs as the leg colour on that first photo is too dark?
Does the cockerel have a single upright comb?

There is definitely something not right about your breeding stock and yes that first picture is a male.

He has a rose comb and those legs are white/grey under that dark wash. He' barred, but he isn't a Rock. He could be Dominique/Cuckoo Marans mix.

Oh that could definitely be it...

Could we bother you for more pics, this time of their parents, the rooster and hens?

That would also account for the darker eggs ;)

thank so much shortgrass. so I am disappointed to hear that they are not pure and that I will have this problem. i am going to take a few pictures tomorrow i would love and appreciate your help on. they are 4 week old BR. sorry for the crazy post, issues with phone keyboard and computer, what a disaster....thank you again

Once you figure out what your stock is, you can always sell utility barred birds...a lot of people are plenty happy to pay to get nice laying utility barred birds. You'll have to be very clear, on a sign, on the receipt, to state that these are mixed breed barred birds that will be utility layers.

I agree...if it weren't for the dark leg color, I would say Dominique, but wrong leg color. Leg color is right for Marans, and I think dark is dominant over yellow of the Dominique? (leg genetics still confuse me as they are confusing...and I just double checked SOP for Dominique...leg color should be yellow not white, they look white after washing out from laying).

Rose comb is dominant over single, so it could be a Dominique/Marans mix with the dark leg as Marans has grey/slate. Dominiques are technically cuckoo (white barring) according to SOP, so won't look as crisp as a Barred Rock.

Per chance does anyone has some signs of leg feathering....outside of leg down outside of toe? True French Marans have leg feather down the outside of the leg, down outside of toe (see my BCM photos below). However, there is a featherless type as well, and many Cuckoo Marans are featherless on the legs. If you see some vestiges of leg feather, especially in these barred birds, and if the barring isn't as crisp and nice but a bit blurry, then I would guess definitely Dominique/Marans crossing.

ETA: Or it could simply be a Dominique with wrong color leg (which means something got in somewhere in the background that shouldn't).

What did your stock person tell you they were when you got them for breeding?

LofMc

http://www.dominiqueclub.org/articles/APAStandardofPerfection.pdf

Last edited:

And I'm getting lost in the thread with all the photos and then comments on a different view pane.

Is the photo above the 14 week old bird you sold thinking it was a pullet? (It would definitely be a cockerel at 14 weeks of age).

Or is that the adult hen you were talking about? As a mature bird, yes, that could be a hen, and I'm leaning to more Dominique than other...just wrong colored leg which can happen if something crept in. Breeders will sell their wrong colored stock.

Again, what did the person claim they were when you got them.

LofMc

Thank you all for your help. I got the parents from the feed store that ordered them. My mistake I was thinking the Youth fair but that is a different group. Either way they were purchased from a hatchery. The first picture is of 4 week olds I do see darker ones and lighter ones. The 2nd picture is I guess a hen from the same parents and is 9 weeks old. I guess if I am going to do this I have to get some really good parents. From a reputable breeder that sells eggs right? I am in south fl and really no one has asked for show type or do they care they just want a pullet and get eggs one day. But I am too new yet to know all the details that you are all so good at. I sell straight run but I would rather know and not have to loose sleep, yes I have lost sleep and have to tell myself I have not killed anyone but I still want to know what is what. uggh... I will take pictures of the parents today. Thank you all...

Thank you all for your help. I got the parents from the feed store that ordered them. My mistake I was thinking the Youth fair but that is a different group. Either way they were purchased from a hatchery. The first picture is of 4 week olds I do see darker ones and lighter ones. The 2nd picture is I guess a hen from the same parents and is 9 weeks old. I guess if I am going to do this I have to get some really good parents. From a reputable breeder that sells eggs right? I am in south fl and really no one has asked for show type or do they care they just want a pullet and get eggs one day. But I am too new yet to know all the details that you are all so good at. I sell straight run but I would rather know and not have to loose sleep, yes I have lost sleep and have to tell myself I have not killed anyone but I still want to know what is what. uggh... I will take pictures of the parents today. Thank you all...
So these pictures are of the chicks you hatched, and you purchased the parent birds from a feed store? Do you have photos of the parent birds?

Back
Top Bottom