Barred Rocks!!

Im having an issue with one of my Barred Rocks she/he will not come off the roost, she is about 3 months old, she can get upon the roost just fine but we have to go in and take her off so she can go into the run. She worries me in this Texas heat. my coop is well ventilated but still its hot.any helped would be appreciated.

Im having an issue with one of my Barred Rocks she/he will not come off the roost, she is about 3 months old, she can get upon the roost just fine but we have to go in and take her off so she can go into the run. She worries me in this Texas heat. my coop is well ventilated but still its hot.any helped would be appreciated.

Do you have some empty milk or gallon water jugs?
Fill them up then freeze them, place them in the shade and they may lean up against them to help keep cool.
I also loaded up my freezer with 2 gallon size zip lock bags (filled with water) that I plan on placing in the coop/rum once I move my babies out.

I have not personally tried these yet, but I read that they do work.

Where in Texas are you?

Hello I have been looki at these beauty's to maybe have a breeder show flock to start breeding, I am very attracted to there colors, how cold hardy they are, and how many eggs they lay. Idk if you could ask dpfor anything more.

Do you have some empty milk or gallon water jugs?
Fill them up then freeze them, place them in the shade and they may lean up against them to help keep cool.
I also loaded up my freezer with 2 gallon size zip lock bags (filled with water) that I plan on placing in the coop/rum once I move my babies out.

I have not personally tried these yet, but I read that they do work.

Where in Texas are you?

I've come to the conclusion that my little barred rock may have sight issues.I seen her step off the ramp,and pecking close to the water until she finally found the right spot.I'll just have to pamper her for awhile. no one picks on her so I think she will be okay.

I've come to the conclusion that my little barred rock may have sight issues.I seen her step off the ramp,and pecking close to the water until she finally found the right spot.I'll just have to pamper her for awhile. no one picks on her so I think she will be okay.

Can you see any injuries to the eye(s), or any cloudiness or anything if you shine a light at her pupil? I'm curious as to what may be causing her vision problems. It sounds like she's adapting well at least. Good luck!

Hello I have been looki at these beauty's to maybe have a breeder show flock to start breeding, I am very attracted to there colors, how cold hardy they are, and how many eggs they lay. Idk if you could ask dpfor anything more.

I can't speak to cold tolerance as we don't experience much of that here, but my girls do amazingly well in the heat, don't seem even remotely fazed by our occasional cold spell, and lay a lot of X-lg to jumbo sized eggs....6 per week on average for each bird. Even during heavy molt I get 4-5 eggs per week from each girl. They really are outstanding birds!

One of my BR pullets laid her first egg today- 18 weeks old. She was so proud of herself. Her egg song sounded more like a small barking dog. I literally went to check the yard thinking we had a stray dog out there! I gave her lots of extra pets for doing such a great job. They grow up so darn fast. Lol

No injuries as far as I can tell both look clear...I'll shine a light in them tomorrow.....I have 3 BR they are so sweet and gentle ..I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Back
Top Bottom