Barred Rocks!!

Keep posting pictures, he looks like he will be a good looking bird.
Here he is at 7 weeks now and he tried to crow on sat it was so cute IMG]https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6212338/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

He is going to be a big boy. Where did you get him?
I live an hour from Meyers hatchery so we drove there and got him there. I called and asked for a barred rock rooster and ended up getting 2 but one is going to a friend. Actually I was gonna keep this one but the other one is a bit bigger and is trying to crow already so I'm keeping the other one I think. Just can't think of a name for him yet ugh. I want to put him outside with my 12 hens and not sure how to do this. Will he be ok with the hens or will they pick on him. I'm waiting till April 1 till it warms up a little more

I live an hour from Meyers hatchery so we drove there and got him there. I called and asked for a barred rock rooster and ended up getting 2 but one is going to a friend. Actually I was gonna keep this one but the other one is a bit bigger and is trying to crow already so I'm keeping the other one I think. Just can't think of a name for him yet ugh. I want to put him outside with my 12 hens and not sure how to do this. Will he be ok with the hens or will they pick on him. I'm waiting till April 1 till it warms up a little more

If you have a dog crate u can put him in it and put the crate in with the hens so they can't get to him. Do this until they are use to him being there.

I have three barred rock pullets that are the same age (about three or four weeks old). Two are feathering in normally, one is very delayed and even her down is strange in texture and length. Anyone have any ideas?
First pic is normal chick. Second is delayed.

I have three barred rock pullets that are the same age (about three or four weeks old). Two are feathering in normally, one is very delayed and even her down is strange in texture and length. Anyone have any ideas?
First pic is normal chick. Second is delayed.

I had a chicks that was delayed as well. One caught up with the others and 1 that didn't catch up.
The one that didn't catch up was a roo so I culled him and put him in the freezer.
The other was a pullet and it took longer for her to start laying.
I was told by the hatchery that it is a genetic thing. Probably bad breeding.

I had a chicks that was delayed as well. One caught up with the others and 1 that didn't catch up.
The one that didn't catch up was a roo so I culled him and put him in the freezer.
The other was a pullet and it took longer for her to start laying.
I was told by the hatchery that it is a genetic thing. Probably bad breeding.
I can't quite see the wing in the second photo could be a roo. Here's a pic of my roo getting his feathers
. He almost looks like he has a white stripe. That's how the Roos start. And this is him now

Either way a delayed bird won't do anything for a flock. If it is a genetic trait then that is some thing you don't want to pass on.
My advice is put it in your freezer when it is big enough.
I know this is harsh but things like that should not be passed on it will just lower the quality of the next generation.

Back
Top Bottom