Barred Rocks!!

I have a whole hatch that think someone musta snuck jumping beans in their starter feed lol, good thing momma hen is quite tolerant of their antics, 4 days old now and terrors that just look cute.

I have a whole hatch that think someone musta snuck jumping beans in their starter feed lol, good thing momma hen is quite tolerant of their antics, 4 days old now and terrors that just look cute.
yeah they're rascals for sure. but us chicken lovers wouldn't have'em any other way.

First question are these barred rocks? Second question is, is this a hen or a cockerel? This bird is 10 weeks old.

Last edited:
That's
yes it's a barred rock and looks to be a hen

That's super exciting. We have araucanas, barred rocks, silkie's, buff orpingtons and Rhode Island reds. I'm ready for these eggs to start coming! We will have great colors of eggs.

yeah I got white , all shades of brown and the blue green eggs, was funny my 25 yr old when I brought some home to put in the incubator told me " it's not easter quit coloring the eggs" lmao

Can i get some insight on this little chick? I bought "her" on 4/10/16 as a supposedly sexed pullet barred rock, and was suppose to be a couple days old.....so "she" isn't quiet 3 weeks yet. I am super new to chicks and this is our first time with chickens but something tells me this is a Roo and not a pullet... opinions???? Thank you!

I bought 8 other chicks but all different breeds... this one is feathering slower but not sure if thats a breed thing or not.

Last edited:

Can i get some insight on this little chick? I bought "her" on 4/10/16 as a supposedly sexed pullet barred rock, and was suppose to be a couple days old.....so "she" isn't quiet 3 weeks yet. I am super new to chicks and this is our first time with chickens but something tells me this is a Roo and not a pullet... opinions???? Thank you!

I bought 8 other chicks but all different breeds... this one is feathering slower but not sure if thats a breed thing or not.

Given the amount of white showing up in the barring + that very pink comb and wattles at only 3 weeks...yeah, I'd guess cockerel. Also, all of my BR cockerels feathered out slower than the girls did.

Given the amount of white showing up in the barring + that very pink comb and wattles at only 3 weeks...yeah, I'd guess cockerel. Also, all of my BR cockerels feathered out slower than the girls did. 

I was afraid of that :( i will have to give him away if thats the case.... if i got a new BR would the 3 weekers kill it?? This one was picked out by my 5 year old :(

the comb and tail feathers arent too big but looks like a hen to me

Back
Top Bottom