Barred Rocks!!

Can i get some insight on this little chick? I bought "her" on 4/10/16 as a supposedly sexed pullet barred rock, and was suppose to be a couple days old.....so "she" isn't quiet 3 weeks yet. I am super new to chicks and this is our first time with chickens but something tells me this is a Roo and not a pullet... opinions???? Thank you!

I bought 8 other chicks but all different breeds... this one is feathering slower but not sure if thats a breed thing or not.
going by the spot on the head and rest of the features I would say hen, the roosters have a bigger white spot on the head from hatch, and the few I've hatched could tell just by attitude by time they were 2 weeks old

going by the spot on the head and rest of the features I would say hen, the roosters have a bigger white spot on the head from hatch, and the few I've hatched could tell just by attitude by time they were 2 weeks old

Well the waddles are turning red already which is my main worry. I can't keep it if it is a roo so just in case i found a black sex link to replace it since it is my 5 year olds. The black sex link is a week younger and a little smaller then the rest so hoping no issues will arise. She has been in with the other 9 for about half hour and so far they don't seem to mind her at all... praying i don't come out in the morning to a dead new chick. And time will tell if minnie is going to be a mickey lol

Well the waddles are turning red already which is my main worry. I can't keep it if it is a roo so just in case i found a black sex link to replace it since it is my 5 year olds. The black sex link is a week younger and a little smaller then the rest so hoping no issues will arise. She has been in with the other 9 for about half hour and so far they don't seem to mind her at all... praying i don't come out in the morning to a dead new chick. And time will tell if minnie is going to be a mickey lol

I'd hold onto it for a little longer just to be sure. Adding a week old chick to 3 week old chicks could be problematic as the older ones will typically bully the younger. I recently added 3 week old chicks in with 5 week old chicks. For the most part it was peaceful, but the older chicks noticed that one of the younger pullets had a wound on her head and practically cannibalized the little thing. They literally at all the flesh off of her head and neck. I've had her in isolation healing ever since. She's making a remarkable recovery but shows absolutely no interest in returning to her flock.

I'd hold onto it for a little longer just to be sure. Adding a week old chick to 3 week old chicks could be problematic as the older ones will typically bully the younger. I recently added 3 week old chicks in with 5 week old chicks. For the most part it was peaceful, but the older chicks noticed that one of the younger pullets had a wound on her head and practically cannibalized the little thing. They literally at all the flesh off of her head and neck. I've had her in isolation healing ever since. She's making a remarkable recovery but shows absolutely no interest in returning to her flock. 

The black sex link is a week younger... or maybe not even. Mine are just at 3 weeks and the black sex link is suppose to be between 2-2.5 weeks. She is noticably smaller but not tiny compared to them. She has been in there for a couple hours and they haven't seemed to mind at all. I have a black langshan thats actually about 4 weeks and she doesnt seem to even notice her.. she pecked her head twice and then walked away. I don't think they have established pecking order yet so that might help.

So sorry about your little one. Hopefully she makes a full revovery.

I am going to keep the barred rock until she/he is old enough to know 100% which sex but wanted to get another one in case it does turn out to be a roo. I was gonna get another barred rock but they only had week old ones and i didn't want to risk that much of a size difference. So got the sex link instead.

That's the new one (black blob up top) in between the welsummer, easter egger, and white leghorn... they are all sleeping together.
She is a lot smaller then the black langshan down in the front but the langshan is bigger then all of them, since she is a week older.

Anyways... praying the barred rock (Minnie) is indeed a hen and then we will just have 10 instead of 9 ;)

The black sex link is a week younger... or maybe not even. Mine are just at 3 weeks and the black sex link is suppose to be between 2-2.5 weeks. She is noticably smaller but not tiny compared to them. She has been in there for a couple hours and they haven't seemed to mind at all. I have a black langshan thats actually about 4 weeks and she doesnt seem to even notice her.. she pecked her head twice and then walked away. I don't think they have established pecking order yet so that might help.

So sorry about your little one. Hopefully she makes a full revovery.

I am going to keep the barred rock until she/he is old enough to know 100% which sex but wanted to get another one in case it does turn out to be a roo. I was gonna get another barred rock but they only had week old ones and i didn't want to risk that much of a size difference. So got the sex link instead.

Okay. I didn't realize they were that close in age. That makes a difference. Glad everyone's getting along!

Barred Rocks are my favorite! Ihve two in my flock of six chickens. They are really friendly and love to be held. Marble is the nicer one of the two, but I love Oreo just as much.

Back
Top Bottom