Barred Rocks!!

Barred rock? Obi is 13 weeks and by coloring would be female correct? I guess I'm concerned that it's comb and face coloration is really red for 13 weeks. Thoughts?

Edited to add additional photo
She's not a Barred Rock. Looks like she's got a bit of a pea comb, so I'm guessing she's from an Olive Egger breeding using Cuckoo Marans and Easter Egger.

There is another breed of bird, I cannot remember the name, but they look very similarto Barr Rocks. I think they have that more broken pattern and the roosters do not have the tail feathers.

Malines and Dominques also have similar barring. I think the Malines have feathered shanks, and the Dominiques have a rose comb.

It's also possible to get similar barring by crossing other breeds. Case in point, this is a photo of one of my Bielefelder/Australorp cockerels at 4 weeks:

This chick we haven't figured out which rooster was the dad yet, it's either BR or RIR over a BO hen lol

Last edited:
Here they are about a month later. They are getting big and super playful. Looks like I only have five hens though.

Ya'll are making me wonder if I'll be able to tell my BR apart from my CM when they are full grown! Does anyone have both Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans? Any good pics of them side by side?

Ya'll are making me wonder if I'll be able to tell my BR apart from my CM when they are full grown! Does anyone have both Barred Rocks and Cuckoo Marans? Any good pics of them side by side?
The color of their legs are different, as are the beaks; yellow for Rocks, white for Marans. And Cuckoo Marans are quite a bit darker than Barred Rocks, and their barring isn't nearly as crisp. The differences are subtle, but you will eventually be able to spot them.

The color of their legs are different, as are the beaks; yellow for Rocks, white for Marans. And Cuckoo Marans are quite a bit darker than Barred Rocks, and their barring isn't nearly as crisp. The differences are subtle, but you will eventually be able to spot them.

Good to know.... I was thinking we'd "just know", but then I walk into my cousins chicken run, and can't tell who's who worth a darn with all her Welsummers and mixed breeds.

Even now, our CM chickie looks SO SIMILAR to what Ethel our BR looked like as a newbie.

Back
Top Bottom