Bathing chickens? Can or should you?

Quote:
I agree, if your chickens are used to being handled and are friendly then you wont have a problem. But even the friendliest chicken can become flighty if scared. Remember we are predators to them. They LEARN to trust. Be gentle and don't give them a reason to loose that trust in you. I would also avoid using a "helper" that the chicken is not familiar with. Flight breeds ,like leghorns, would raise cain if a human tried to bathe them! LOL!

I have to agree with Jon Boy on the chick thing as well. The most common reason a chick dies on my farm is when they get wet. Chicks do not put out enough body heat to dry themselves quick enough to avoid getting cold. Even under a light in a brooder I have lost chicks that simply went into shock from being to cold as a result of gettin wet. I would not bath a chicken less then four months old!

As Always Happy to Help!

Timothy from KY
smile.png

I've bathed several of my chickens and I can tell you they LOVE it. Once they get in that warm water they just get happy and relaxed and sleepy. And, they LOVE the blow dryer too! When we built a new deck, we put in an out door kitchen area with a tile countertop and sink that has hot and cold water, so that's where my chickens will get their baths from now on. I've heard that a little vinegar in the rinse water will make their feathers shiny, but I always forget.

I have to bathe Arlo's legs when he does poopies all over them (since he cant walk, if he has a runny it goes all over his legs)

I always use Adams flea and tick shampoo on my birds. Baths will definitely not harm them, just make sure they are nice and dry before putting them outside again

Back
Top Bottom