Bathing chickens? Can or should you?

clap.gif
thumbsup.gif

I just did 5 of the 2 week old chicks because they had poopy bums. Made a very weak solution of Nolvasan and water then rinsed them in fresh water and threw them under the heat lamp together to dry. Non poopy bums work better.

I bathed the very greasy(from jumping in the slop bucket) Frizzle with Dawn dishsoap last week and it's fine this week.(although looking nearly as dirty again) I disagree with bathing animals on a regular basis, but think it's fine when needed.

Quote:
Actually Dawn is quite safe for animals. Its been extensively tested because Dawn donates so much for animals in oil spills, etc. and has for decades. I had to calll the poison control center for something getting on an animals, like diesel fuel, when I was a groomer and thats what they tell you to use because its as safe on animal skin as human skin. It does strip a bit more oil out of the fur/feathers than shampoo but you can put a conditioner on after to counter act any dry skin. Shampoos strip most of the natural oils out anyway.

I have only cleaned off wounds on my birds with a bath. But I thought they would like getting in a small pool to cool off here in S.E. bama when it gets hot. I bought a small, cheap, kiddie pool for 8 bucks at the dollar store, put an inch of water in it, and they will not get in. They stare at it next to their water trough, and then back at me as to say where is the rest of the water for us to drink. SO, I am assuming they are not fond of "getting into" water. I thought they would love it. GRRRRRRRRR..  Anyone else try this?

My lady's get in and stand in any water bowl the can when its hot..i thought about getting a kiddie pool for them but the thought of cleaning it out often seemed like a chore. I have even had a short plastic tote with water for them and they got in it. Guess my girls are wierd but i thought it was smart of them to cool off in this way.

Back
Top Bottom