Battling Extreme Desert Heat

Sounds like a plan! I will get some down the road. My kids join4-H this year. I am so excited. Right now we are planning on entering the egg show at the State Fair in October. I think I'm more excited than the kids - again.
1f61c.png

I saw some Lavender Marans yesterday! Wow they are gorgeous birds. The breeder won't have stock to sell for 2 month but she said I could have some if we want them. I didn't dare ask the price. Instead I came home with a Cuckoo Maran and a Cream Legbar!!! So excited. She is a small breeder about 44 min from me and sells low and breeds to help 4H families- just like you mentioned Pink!!!

Dang it! Now I have to start a whole chicken farm with every kind of lavender chickens! I really need to win the lottery.

I just googled them. Gorgeous! Looked up prices for 2 breeders in Ca. OUCH! $35. per pullet, $25. for a cockarel. This is Ca though, Everything is ridiculous!t Run): [COLOR=FFFCE6] $25.00 [/COLOR]Pullets: [COLOR=FFFCE6] $35.00 - $65.00 [/COLOR]Hens: [COLOR=FFFCE6] $75.00 - $125.00 [/COLOR]Cockerels: [COLOR=FFFCE6] $25.00 - $60.00[/COLOR](Straight Run): [COLOR=FFFCE6] $25.00 [/COLOR]Pullets: [COLOR=FFFCE6] $35.00 - $65.00 [/COLOR]Hens: [COLOR=FFFCE6] $75.00 - $125.00 [/COLOR]Cockerels: [COLOR=FFFCE6] $25.00 - $60.00[/COLOR]
Ouch! Yep. I need to win the lotto!

Right! but this wasn't listed as breeding stock, just babies. Hen is $75. - $125. Cockarel $25.- $60. Still an understandable price for sure, just hard on the wallet. I want Lavender Orpingtons. Meyer hatchery sells a pair for $150. but there is a long waiting list. I'd like to get 2 more hens and a roo, really good stock. Price doesn't matter. Need to find them. Then, if @k5crew
 scored some Lavender Marans, we could ship a few to @pinkmartin73
 for 4H project!  Dream big!

:yesss:

Sounds like a plan! I will get some down the road. My kids join4-H this year. I am so excited. Right now we are planning on entering the egg show at the State Fair in October. I think I'm more excited than the kids - again.
1f61c.png

Yeah i get pretty excited. When I showed my son pics of lavender orps tho and he got pretty excited too!

1f61c.png

Dang it! Now I have to start a whole chicken farm with every kind of lavender chickens! I really need to win the lottery.

Ah....

deb
This thread has taken on a life! Ya'll are so great. So...till the wee hrs this am, I followed a 2011 - present discussion thread about breeding Lav Orps that Karen sent me. National Orpington Club. Way to hard to get it right and improve the breed for me. 5 years just to breed good foundation stock. I'd wind up with lots of extra birds. I'm gonna put this breeding thing on hold till spring and research a LOT more. I'll just order a couple more pretty girls, no roos.
Edit to add link. Really complicated! http://orpingtonclub.proboards.com/thread/152/dare-talk-lavenders?page=1&scrollTo=1333

Last edited:
This thread has taken on a life! Ya'll are so great. So...till the wee hrs this am, I followed a 2011 - present discussion thread about breeding Lav Orps that Karen sent me. National Orpington Club. Way to hard to get it right and improve the breed for me. 5 years just to breed good foundation stock. I'd wind up with lots of extra birds. I'm gonna put this breeding thing on hold till spring and research a LOT more.  I'll just order a couple more pretty girls, no roos. 
Edit to add link. Really complicated! http://orpingtonclub.proboards.com/thread/152/dare-talk-lavenders?page=1&scrollTo=1333

Yeah, I'll be super honest. I don't have the patience to get into that big of a project this early in development. Now once most of the kinks are worked out and I can just tweek here and there to breed the best I can. I'm all in! Now, if money and space were of no concern and I could run several such projects consecutively.... Well that my friend would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom