Bay Area BYCers!

Eh, things could be better in my flock - I just had a 1.5yo hen die from what seemed like neurological problems and neither of the potential outcomes look good. So far, the initial necropsy results point to Marek's, though heavy metal poisoning hasn't been ruled out yet. The only good news is that no HPAI was detected (it seemed unlikely but worth testing for just in case).

I feel like my luck has been *very* different than my friends who made backyard flock keeping look pretty easy :( One neighbor friend has kept chickens for 8 years now - he's never gotten any cockerels in all the chicks they've had and never dealt with any serious illnesses. Here I am only 1.5y into this - 4/10 sexed chicks I've gotten have been cockerels, and now it looks like I have to learn how to navigate Marek's.

In case anyone needs it (I really hope you don't!) and doesn't know about it already, UC Davis's necropsy services for backyard flocks is affordable and very easy. You can drop off a specimen, or mail overnight via FedEx. Charge is only $25 for up to 2 birds per submission (not including shipping). I saw somewhere else that this may be the annual limit at that price, but the wording on the overview is a little vague, and I read it to mean that for $25, you can submit up to 2 chickens.

Some of their links don't seem to be working, but this gives you the overview of the program and includes a link to the submission form:
https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/pdfs/CAHFS_NecropsyFactsheet.pdf

And here is the submission form:
https://cahfs.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/si...page/BYF_StandardSubmissionForm_04-2019_0.pdf

I forgot to add that if you do intend to drop off a sample at UCD, it is helpful to call first; they were able to answer my questions and give me specific directions to the drop-off. The current drop-off location is around the back of the building where there is a sign that says "Overnight Delivery" with a cooler for samples, if needed.

If you're looking at potential Marek's, as I am, they don't do Marek's PCR tests, just evidence from necropsy as well as rule out a variety of other possibilities, including a PCR for avian lymphoid leukosis, which can look very similar to MDV.

How exciting! Get lots of pictures of them!
I will! Here are my two tiny Azure Eggers. It’s interesting, with being able to pick them up at the hatchery this is the first time I have gotten some actual day old chicks - shipping usually takes at least two days often three). They are so tiny and calm! of course there are only two, so there is a lot less of the waking each other up and chasing around than with a fuller brooder, too…

Attachments

• 2F42CD01-9F9A-400D-9E5F-B2FA24C361AE.jpeg
    2F42CD01-9F9A-400D-9E5F-B2FA24C361AE.jpeg
    497.5 KB · Views: 4
Hi, I need to rehome three chicks four weeks old, I just learned I can't have them in my city. They are two Prairie Bluebell Egger and one turken naked neck. I will give them for free with a heat lamp, food and grit.

I live in south bay.
1684027516843.jpeg

Hi, I need to rehome three chicks four weeks old, I just learned I can't have them in my city. They are two Prairie Bluebell Egger and one turken naked neck. I will give them for free with a heat lamp, food and grit.

I live in south bay.
1684027516843.jpeg
Oh no! What a bummer. What city are you in? I'm in Gilroy.

Back
Top Bottom