Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
Thank you soooo much. I know that they are easy for experienced chicken folk, but it is hard to impose that on someone else.
But I may come up with something temporary, and will let you know!

But here is what I'm thinking. Put a tension rod up between the two back windows to hang the heat lamp on, and then use earthquake
putty to fix the water and food containers to the carrier.

I should put this question on the main forum !

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you soooo much. I know that they are easy for experienced chicken folk, but it is hard to impose that on someone else.
But I may come up with something temporary, and will let you know!

But here is what I'm thinking. Put a tension rod up between the two back windows to hang the heat lamp on, and then use earthquake
putty to fix the water and food containers to the carrier.

I should put this question on the main forum !

PM SunnyDawn with this question. She transported an entire shipment of day-old chicks in her SUV from Reno down to the Bay Area in April.

eta - we all know how to do chicks, but Cheryl is really experienced!!!
smile.png

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, did somebody get those chicks from the P.O.???

Sorry I'm a little late guys...

As far as traveling with chicks the most simple thing to do would be to buy a DC to AC power inverter... also known as a regular plug like you have at home that you put into your car's power outlet, the lighter thingy. You can find them at most camping stores or probably even electronic stores. Target even maybe. I'll see if I can find a picture of what I'm talking about...

Something like this,

Then you plug your heat lamp in and you're set! Figuring out how to place their food and water should be a bit more simple, it seems like figuring out how to keep them warm would be the hardest part. You can just clip the heat lamp onto the side of whatever box you have them in, that's what I've always done.

Anyways- did somebody pick those chicks up?

Quote:
This is what I used! Except I didn't want to deal with a bulky heat lamp bouncing around so I plugged in a heating pad. It worked great! I got mine at WalMart but Target is a pretty good bet too. The first time I just did the water dish thing but even if it's attached it sloshed over every time I hit a bump.
The last time I traveled with chickens I used an empty liter bottle, filled it with water and attached a nipple waterer to the bottom side (to avoid clogging don't attach to the very bottom). Then I taped it to the side of the box and placed a dish underneath to catch the drips.
They get stinky real fast so bring extra litter and a couple of extra boxes for changes. The feed dish works as is. Just attach with duct tape or earthquake putty. Oh, you will also have children and adults crowding around to get a peek at the babies!
wink.png
Don't leave them in a hot car, this time of year.
Good luck! Beware of long stops. The heat source turns off when you stop the engine. Short breaks are just fine for the babies though.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
This is what I used! Except I didn't want to deal with a bulky heat lamp bouncing around so I plugged in a heating pad. It worked great! I got mine at WalMart but Target is a pretty good bet too. The first time I just did the water dish thing but even if it's attached it sloshed over every time I hit a bump.
The last time I traveled with chickens I used an empty liter bottle, filled it with water and attached a nipple waterer to the bottom side (to avoid clogging don't attach to the very bottom). Then I taped it to the side of the box and placed a dish underneath to catch the drips.
They get stinky real fast so bring extra litter and a couple of extra boxes for changes. The feed dish works as is. Just attach with duct tape or earthquake putty.
Good luck! Beware of long stops. The heat source turns off when you stop the engine. Short breaks are just fine for the babies though.
thumbsup.gif

lau.gif
, I just PMd you about this. never mind, you found us.
lol.png

I'm glad I could get here in time!
tongue.png

By the way, I called and left a voicemail for the park manager for the SL Marina Park, I'm waiting to hear back from her as to whether or not they'll allow chickens on the premises.

Let's all cross our fingers folks!
fl.gif

Quote:
YES !!!!!!!! The heroic Renee in Berkeley picked them up. She called a couple of hours ago. There were six instead of five. She was feeding and watering them,
had already checked for pasty butt, and nestled them into the brooder. Incredible!!!!!!!

We will pick them up tomorrow. I think we won't travel until Saturday, and give them some time to get steady.

I was wondering about a heating pad. Which would be better a heating lamp or a pad?

I have never used a nipple waterer, will they just get it??

We'll drive straight through, and take turns at the rest stops, leaving the car running. We have a converter we use for computers, so we can plug everything into that.

Back
Top Bottom