Bay Area BYCers!

Quote:
Bel, I'm getting 12-17 BBS Orp chicks from Joy Adkins (justuschickens59) at the end of the month. I plan on keeping only 1 cockerel with hopefully 5-6 pullets, depending on color. If you're interested I will be looking for homes for the other little guys...

If not this year, I'll also be selling the hatching eggs of these birds next spring!

I would love to get more of Joy's beauties, please do drop me a PM when you decide what you plan to rehome and hopefully by then we will be ready for more birds. I've been especially hoping for a black pullet, the sheen on her black orps is amazing. Just to warn you the black ones feather slower than the other colors so don't be shocked thinking they are all roos.

The 5 I have going in to lockdown tomorrow are from Tuffoldhen's Charlie Blue & sisters which are from Julie (BamaChicken) English ones

Quote:
Bel, I'm getting 12-17 BBS Orp chicks from Joy Adkins (justuschickens59) at the end of the month. I plan on keeping only 1 cockerel with hopefully 5-6 pullets, depending on color. If you're interested I will be looking for homes for the other little guys...

If not this year, I'll also be selling the hatching eggs of these birds next spring!

I would love to get more of Joy's beauties, please do drop me a PM when you decide what you plan to rehome and hopefully by then we will be ready for more birds. I've been especially hoping for a black pullet, the sheen on her black orps is amazing. Just to warn you the black ones feather slower than the other colors so don't be shocked thinking they are all roos.

I will keep you in mind for sure, this actually sounds like it'll work out perfectly, as I would rather keep the blues and hopeful splash chicks over the blacks. I've got too many black chickens now, I want to add some more color to my flock!

Quote:
I haven't seen Tuffoldhen's pics yet but seen pics of Julie's birds and that is a stunning flock, hope you have an awesome hatch.

Quote:
I haven't seen Tuffoldhen's pics yet but seen pics of Julie's birds and that is a stunning flock, hope you have an awesome hatch.

Thanks, tuffoldhens english hens originated from Julie-bamachicken

Last edited:
I was just at Mike's Feed in San Leandro over the weekend, and they asked if we wanted a free chicken -- turned out to be a BO roo, which we couldn't take since we live in Oakland and roos are verboten. He looked like a nice bird (from what my newbie eyes could tell) so if he's still hanging around maybe somebody might want him? They had him in a cardboard box, so it looked like he was going to be there pretty much on a temporary basis...

caf.gif

How are everyone's chickens doing in this heat? Though I've given mine cold watermelon, and an ice bath to step into if they want, and an oscillating fan, they're still panting. I'm so tempted to bring them into the house in these hottest hours of the day.

I just hosed down the pavers around the coop, wet the dirt and sand and sprinkled the girls. No they weren't happy but better than nothing. Gonna get them some melon too

I put a mist system in the run last year. It cools things down, but they don't really like the mist. Crazy birds! It wets things down a bit, and cools the air. I change the water out a lot. They like to dig holes in the shade and dirt bathe. It seems to work for them.

I just went to tuck everyone in and they are all panting like crazy. It's 85 degrees at 8:45pm!!! Just put a fan in the 14 week old coop. I'm leaving some of the doors open in both coops so they can get some relief. hopefully it will cool down before I go to bed...or I'll have to wake up in the middle of the night to close the doors! Poor fluffy feathered ones
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom