Bay Area BYCers!

My hen, Bo Peep, is a Partridge Cochin and she has 18, yes 18, eggs under her and she hasn't budged, so she has accepted them. I put them under her last night and it took me so long to get all 18 stuffed under her that she finally started to peck at me when I was putting the last two under her.

I moved her to a separate area, so the other hens can't bother her, and she settled right in to the new spot. So, after that, I put the eggs under her.

I am super excited as this will be my first hatch. I hope she sticks with it. She seems very determined and ready to do the work.

Sewandgrow, I will post pictures of my BLRW rooster as soon as I can get my hubby to unload them from the camera. If you like the roo, I will bring him out to you. He has beautiful lacing on each of his feathers and a deep blue and deep mahogany color.

Anna B.

Maybe others have had experience with this better than I but Anna I'd be careful about putting too many under her. I had done that to a hen and she ended up dying because she never got off the nest. Now that could have been just that particular hen...maybe others have more experience but I've been told never more than 12

Mille fleur leghorns report. A ton of young'ins all growing out so nicely I think 12 hatched 6 weeks ago, 12 chicks from sandhill, 3 weeks old and 20 more shipping from sandhill next week!

What a fun breeding job this will be, they are looking amazingly gorgeous!

One of my infrequent posts, but I just have to tell you locals that I just put 16 BBS Ameraucana eggs from Pips and Peeps in the bater! I am so excited. If I do well, next year my John Bleme roo Bubba will have some pretty splash and blue girlfriends and some beautiful babies!
And - one of my Blue Rocks I hatched from Halo turns out to be Blue Barred. Yeah for blue!
Unfortunately, another one is clearly a Black Barred Rock roo, which I do not need. He should be good quality - anyone want him? Free to first taker!
He is about 2 weeks old.

Quote:
I am only going by info I get from others because I don't have broody hens except my Silkies & they hatch almost that many themselves & they are Bantams but it is a group effort as you & Dave saw. They do a perfect job of it. I have never had to take a bad egg away from them. Maybe they have them & I just don't know. Maybe they dispose of them themselves. I just know they are so small & they jam so many eggs under them all the time.
I hope you get agood hatch.
I look forward to your picture of you BLRW.
Karen

My sweet Abby was broody and after the eggs I put under her didin't hatch I gave these babies. She has been such a good momma. Yesterday was the first day she took them outside so I thought it deserved a meal worm celebration.

41441_abby_and_babies.jpg

Quote:
How cute! I remember Abby from the chicken stock last Oct. She was such a friendly girl! My oldest DD fell in love with Speckled Sussex after meeting her!
smile.png

Quote:
they were early quitters from shipped eggs so who knows

Yes they are wheaten marans, I've got those 5 and I think another 7 in the brooder with my mille fleurs

Back
Top Bottom