Bay Area BYCers!

I don't post much - but have learned a lot from those who do. I have to brag though...our first eggs ever arrived from our almost six month old SLW, LuLu. Just in time for Easter!

Tiny, but perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they will improve as she matures.

Now all we need to do is convince her to use the nesting box in the coop instead of the nest she's built herself in our yard... Any suggestions?

I have 2 stuborn hens, so I stick ceramic eggs in the nesting boxes. These 2 are the only 2 and they like to lay where I can barely get to their eggs. Those ceramic eggs are lifesavers for showing them where to lay and in case you ever have an egg eater..

Congrats on the eggs.

I don't post much - but have learned a lot from those who do. I have to brag though...our first eggs ever arrived from our almost six month old SLW, LuLu. Just in time for Easter!

Tiny, but perfect as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure they will improve as she matures.

Now all we need to do is convince her to use the nesting box in the coop instead of the nest she's built herself in our yard... Any suggestions?

I use old golf balls in the nests. Hens like to lay where other hens have layed.
Congratulations! I still have 2-3 months left before my 4 start laying.
roll.png
Speaking of laying...what do you folks use in your nest boxes? I have some pine shavings in mine (to sort-of get them use to the idea) and the shavings are getting into everything!

Dave
I use straw. Still gets everywhere, but easier to clean up. I have also used leaves and they liked that too.

I use old golf balls in the nests. Hens like to lay where other hens have layed.
I use straw. Still gets everywhere, but easier to clean up. I have also used leaves and they liked that too.
I happened to have a few decorative Easter eggs in about the same same and color as she is laying, put one in her nest box last night, and this morning she laid in the box instead of outside in the yard! Thanks for the tip!

Looking for Welsummers near the bay area...
Let me know if you've got female chicks!
Thanks!

jumpy.gif
I may have some soon. I had some fert. issues so I switched out my roo and added two youngsters about a month ago. I set eggs on Monday and plan to candle on Wednesday. If fert is good, I can set some eggs for you. I will also have Fert. eggs available. My line of Welsummers originated from Whitmore Farm and they lay nice dark brown eggs.

Oh NO! the lavender marans cockerel 5 months crowed this morning! Does anyone want to come get him TODAY? He's got to go...no crowing allowed at my house!

He is showing more yellow in his hackles than we were going for in the breeding program. Please PM me if anyone wants him... FREE to good home (no hens are available-they are going to Sarah/mycutekitties for breeding)

I would have been right over a few months ago when I lost my old Cuckoo Maran rooster, but right now I have at least 1 California Grey cockerel in my brooder. They are pretty birds and I hope you find a good responsible owner for him.

According to CAHFS at UC Davis, West Nile Virus (myocarditis) was diagnosed in a thin Northern Spotted Owl from Tuolumne County that was euthanized due to a broken leg in mid February. The CAHFS and California Department of Public Health dead bird surveillance program has been detecting birds chronically infected with WNV throughout the year and not just during mosquito season.

To be updated on what is affecting birds in your area, you can subscribe to the CAHFS newsletter at www.cahfs.ucdavis.edu

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom