Beak injuries eating mashed food?!

Bear4boo

Songster
Jun 10, 2022
Midwest
I gave our 9 week old chickens a bowl of wet feed (mash). They all went absolutely nuts over it! After eating it I noticed one of them had a piece of her beak damaged and several others had smaller red spots on their beaks. The only thing I can think of is they were eating so aggressively and trying to wipe off the food that got stuck to their beaks and hurt themselves that way? Has anyone else experienced this? Pic attached of injured beak.
2F6DF0A9-DA20-4EF3-926B-1C1A2405CE9D.jpeg

I would assume that the lead hen was so excited about the feed, that she was pecking the others to try and say, “this is mine, get out of here!” Or they banged their beaks on the dish while eating.
I watched them eat and they were definitely attacking the food and trying to get the food off of each other’s faces lol. I’m kind of sad about it because they really loved it and I would like to keep giving it to them.

I watched them eat and they were definitely attacking the food and trying to get the food off of each other’s faces lol. I’m kind of sad about it because they really loved it and I would like to keep giving it to them.
You can keep giving it to them. They might become more sophisticated eaters overtime. Very minor and quite common injuries.

Back
Top Bottom