Bearded polish to non bearded polish.

Turtle1626

Chirping
Feb 19, 2024
Hello so I have Two polish chicks. One is bearded,I was wondering if I were to cross them will I get bearded/non-bearded polish?

Hello so I have Two polish chicks. One is bearded,I was wondering if I were to cross them will I get bearded/non-bearded polish?
You should get some bearded chicks. You may get some non-bearded chicks, or you may not, depending on the genes of the one with the beard.

The muff/beard gene is dominant (the same gene causes muffs and beards). A chicken can have a beard if it has one or two copies of the beard gene. A chicken with no beard gene has no beard.

When you cross them, some chicks will inherit the beard gene from the one with a beard, and the not-beard gene from the one with no beard. Those chicks will have beards.

If the bearded parent has two genes for beard, then every chick gets one, so every chick grows a beard.

But if the bearded parent has one gene for beard and one gene for not-beard, then half of its chicks will inherit the gene for no beard. Since the other parent has no beard, those chicks will have no beard genes, and will not grow beards.

Back
Top Bottom