Beginning coop construction...

I love your chicken swing! I want to do that too, but my run isn't going to be enclosed at the top right away... and I don't want to give them an advantage to try to fly out! hahaha!

I'm so excited to get more done... Bf got a door/gate on the run today.. but he said he has to set another post before he can finish it.. and we don't have an extra post. Ugh. :(

We spent a good deal of time in the coop tonight... we let the teenagers out of the introduction pen to mingle with the older ones for about 2 hours or so. I didn't go too badly, but they meaties weren't letting them eat.. and the Isa Browns were doing a little bit of 'herding'. But that's about what I expected. I put the teens safely back in the intro pen before we came in. We also changed out the leg bands on all the Isas. They had grown a lot! I just find it fascinating how fast they grow!!! I'm really looking to getting them all in together and then getting the Buff Orpington babies out in the intro pen. :jumpy :jumpy

I think I will dread introductions of new birds to the flock when we get to that point. The whole scenario sounds confusing and scary haha. I will want someone to tell me everything I should do second by second for that haha.

That's cool!! I'm going to have to make one of those when I get to building the run.

I feel super proud if you think it is a good idea haha! We had some tree limbs fall during our last big storm with crazy 80 mph winds and this branch piece seemed nicely smooth and the perfect width for a little swing.

Nice!
Like that the chains are shorter, the longer ones can turn a swing into a deadly pendulum that all the chickens run away from.

It just so happened that we didnt want to run to the hardware store for another piece of chain and so we cut the one piece we had left into two. I also wanted it sort of shorter in order to not subtract from useable floor space in the run. It's the perfect hopping distance from the ramp.

We are trying to do different things for enrichment for the birds. It's fun seeing what works and what doesn't. Because there was so much shade in the area we built in, there wasnt much green growth after we tilled the soil for building. The first day they were amazed by all the space. But day teo they seemed a bit bored. Day three, throw in some cut grass and a swing and they are crazy birds again haha.

I'll build a run perch and a fresh greens basket out of the fencing we have leftover later. Also added a bottle with holes drilled in it, filled with treats, as a chicken toy. They preferred scratching in the grass though. Gotta love em!

Chickens are awesome. Today, one of mine ate a snake! A baby garden snake because nothing bigger can get in their run lol but they decapitated it quicker than it could regret its decision to enter their domain.

Took some pics of the 8 week olds enjoying their domain. I'm positive that the first three are cockerels. Taco Bell, in the first image, is the most likely to be safe from freezer camp.

This one I am 80%/20% for cockerel/pullet. It's comb is quite large but not nearly as large or red as the other RIR. Additionally this one doesnt seem to challenge the bigger Welsummer cock, the way the other RIR does.

The sex links are obvious haha...

I think I will dread introductions of new birds to the flock when we get to that point. The whole scenario sounds confusing and scary haha. I will want someone to tell me everything I should do second by second for that haha.

Nah, it's not as bad as all that. :D I'm a total newbie. And they've been in the intro pen for a while, so that helped. I'm so glad I decided to add that feature.

Yes, chickens ARE totally awesome!! We got the post today at Lowe's to finish the run, so Yay! It's so cold and dreary here.. ugh. I'm ready for some nice weather.

Your chickens are adorable... how many do you have total and what kinds? I wanted Welsummers so badly... I love the pretty speckled eggs!

Nah, it's not as bad as all that. :D I'm a total newbie. And they've been in the intro pen for a while, so that helped. I'm so glad I decided to add that feature.

Yes, chickens ARE totally awesome!! We got the post today at Lowe's to finish the run, so Yay! It's so cold and dreary here.. ugh. I'm ready for some nice weather.

Your chickens are adorable... how many do you have total and what kinds? I wanted Welsummers so badly... I love the pretty speckled eggs!

We got six total. Two sex links, two RIR, two Welsummer. Unfortunately, we got straight run on the RIR and the wellies and we suspect that we got four cockerels :( One is still a little unsure. But both the Wellies and at least one of the RIR is a roo. They are already challenging each other and one of them crows even!!! All but one of the cocks will head to freezer camp in about another month. And we hope to then get a few more pullets.

That being said, I am sort of glad we got a Wellie cock. They are BEAUTIFUL and they are known for having a docile temperament as far as roos go.

I want to add black copper marans, Wyandottes or Ameracaunas. We dont have much in the way of room for chicken math so we can only replace the roos which we process. But still, I'll need to look at some stuff about integration.

Gosh that's a bummer that you got so many males!! But at least you said you like the Welsummer rooster. :) I can't believe you have one crowing already!! How old are they? I have my 'teenager' group... that includes 5 straight run Silkies, but I won't be keeping a Silkie rooster. And I've heard they mature late and that it's really hard to tell the gender until they lay or crow. So, we shall see. lol

I also want Black Copper Marans... again, beautiful eggs. I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and have a Golden Laced ordered for June. Praying My pet chicken is good at sexing their babies. :D

Integration is really easy if you do it the way I'm doing it.. but Idk if you have the room or not.

Gosh that's a bummer that you got so many males!! But at least you said you like the Welsummer rooster. :) I can't believe you have one crowing already!! How old are they? I have my 'teenager' group... that includes 5 straight run Silkies, but I won't be keeping a Silkie rooster. And I've heard they mature late and that it's really hard to tell the gender until they lay or crow. So, we shall see. lol

I also want Black Copper Marans... again, beautiful eggs. I have 2 Silver Laced Wyandottes and have a Golden Laced ordered for June. Praying My pet chicken is good at sexing their babies. :D

Integration is really easy if you do it the way I'm doing it.. but Idk if you have the room or not.

Yeah I love the BCMs and Gold Laced Wyandottes!

Mine are only 7-8 weeks old but I swear one was attempting to crow at 5 weeks. It's still not a very good crow lol but every morning there are at least a couple crows heard. It's definitely thr bigger Welsummer roo, who we plan on keeping.

We are going to build an addition on to the coop in a couple months that will have an outdoor brooding box and grow out pen. Then we will add a couple more young ladies.

I'm concerned that we have a some roos as well. No bueno for us. They will be rehomed if they do turn out to be roos.

Yeah, it's a chance you take. Even paying for sexed birds, there is still a chance a roo will slip through. We were going to process all the roos but we read how beneficial roosters can be so we are going to keep one.

Back
Top Bottom