Beginning coop construction...

I WANT BCMs! I will have some someday. xD I also want Welsummers. Please keep us posted on your roos temperament. I want a non aggressive one.. if that's possible... Oh fun, an addition already?? hehe How does hubby feel? That's exciting though!

He actually wants it lol. He and I agree that we want more than two hens and that we want some different breeds and we both agree that we do NOT want to brood indoors again. And the current coop build is small enough that we dont feel like there is adequate space to separate a space for a brooder. It probably still wont happen for a couple months because we have other things to take care of and we will need to run electric out to the extension since it will have a brood box space in it. And so we'll need to get an electrician out here as neither of us is familiar with that sort of work and messing with electricity scares me anyway.

I've heard that Wellie roos have a great temperament. I've also heard the best way to keep them docile toward their humans is to not handle them much once you suspect they are cockerels. Apparently, it familiarizes them to you and defeats their natural and instinctual fear toward us, making them more bold to act aggressively. Of course some breeds are more prone to aggression (ie RIR roos). But the Wellies are pretty skittish to begin with. I feel like his natural fear of us will make him easier to handle as he reaches maturity.

Here are some better images of the branch perch, and in use...

They use it to wander onto the 2*4s of the walls haha...

Lydia getting her dust bath on...

Rolling around like a dog in the grass...

Tonight will be our first big rain since building rhe run so I am going to document the aftermath tomorrow in order to see how muddy it might get in there. If it is really bad, we may dig some trenches and/or build up some levees to divert the water.

Awww your chickens look so happy. That's awesome. I can not wait to get mine outside. I was really hoping it'd happen this weekend, but we just had too much to do... But it's getting there... a little bit at a time.

Yes, I've also heard that about roos... not to let them become too familiar with you, so they'll keep their distance from you. Sounds good to me. xD

Killed a big rat snake yesterday, probably 5' long. I know they are beneficial but it was in the yard where my children play and not far from the coop either. It has me completely re-thinking the 2*3 welded wire fencing at the top of the run. The coop itself at night is locked up tight. But the possibilities of disastrous situations is not something I want to risk. We had plenty of the hwc left but opted to use the fencing material bc I wasnt worried about snakes as they are typically nocturnal predators. But this one was out in full daylight and my daughter came running to tell me. So we'll be off to get more washers at the hardware store later this week to attach the hwc to the top.

I'm not familiar with any kinds of snakes really... does that kind do harm to chickens?

Rat snakes eat rodents, small birds and eggs. Sometimes they'll search for eggs around chickens and chickens will attack it. Rat snakes are constrictors and when provoked can strangle a chicken. I've heard tales of snakes trying to eat a chicken, starting at the head. Then when they get to the shoulder and realize its too big to eat, they regurgitate it, but your chicken is already dead. Lastly, they can sit in nesting boxes for warmth and lying in wait for more eggs. I would hate to go out and check for eggs to find a snake and possibly get bit. Even worse, for my children to reach in for that surprise. And even though rat snakes are non venomous, all snakes carry enormous amounts of bad bacteria in their mouths and can cause some bad infections.

No thank you.

Back
Top Bottom