Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

I have no more cockerels to process, so we're waiting for the pullets to fill out a bit more. I wish I had some idea of their weight. I'd guess they're about a lb less than their brothers. They may look smaller, but they do have some heft to them. Weightier than they look. ;) I can't wait to see how they turn out. :) I'm down to my last 2 cockerels that I need for breeding. I have 5 cockerels & 5 pullets at 14 weeks old too that are still growing out. For some reason, the Internet isn't working on my desktop computer. Argh! It's where all my pics are.

I totally understand not being into caponizing. I'm still not sure even I can do it. For me, it may be worth doing. I've had problems with roos in the past making life in the flock a living h*ll. Mind you, those were hatchery birds & I don't know how a bunch of Malines roos will behave. The mixed ages are fine right now free ranging - not a lot of chaos. I've gotta say, they are a more peaceful breed so far. Even when broodies were weaning them, there was very little fuss. I remember last year's brood (hatchery mutts) when being weaned. Oye, the pecking! Goldie, my chief broody, had a harder time weaning those chicks off. :p

Some folks are just fussy eaters, lol! I'm not picky, but I do prefer the thighs. Dark, juicy & tasty! :D

Nice pics Shades! I'll try for better ones next time. Side view of mine didn't do it justice.

Last edited:
Malines roosters are fine together as long as they have been growing up together. And I have been successful putting two roosters together given there is enough hens for them. They will work it out usually. Right now I have 4 almost 6 month old roosters in one coop and it is very harmonious. I might add another now I still have the chance...

As far as caponizing, I do not see the need at all. Especially if you raise these birds and have the opportunity to hatch a few more, should you need to. Then why would you even bother to harm these birds. This is a large breed of chicken that will put plenty of meat on your table. Caponizing these birds just feels like it's never enough. Just raise a few more and give them a great life. Just my two cents here.

Last but not least, I like to add another point of view to the whole cost discussion. To me the costs are irrelevant within reasonable margins of course. Why? Because Malines are true foraging birds and their meat quality is unmatched both in taste as in the health department (less manufactured food, more grass, seeds and bugs) because of it. Chicken meat like that cannot be compared to cornish x type of birds that don't move and gorge at the feed bin. I find the mere fact of a cost comparison actually oversimplifying. Because it's about so much more. And yes this point of view comes from a a garlic grower and chicken keeper who embraces organic practices and is concerned about what food goes in his families' bellies.

As a side note: I love Shades pics of the two birds side by side. The Cornish x has a price tag ... the Malines: priceless
smile.png

Quote: I say it's in proportion. I will be having 3-4 breeding flocks with ~40-50 hens in each flock (so ~1150 eggs/ week from all those flocks) and another three or more breeding groups of poultry with 50-100 hens in each ( + ~1450 eggs/week ).... So I will not exactly be a small operation... But I am going to be a poultry breeding firm. So those flock sizes ( the ones with 50-100 hens) will be needed for projects. My mentor is getting an incubator soon that will allow her to hatch over 3000 chicks / month. And after I get some more capital, I will be adding two of those incubators and a hatcher.

Ok Bart, you've convinced me. ;) No Malines of mine will be caponized. The way things are going around here, it does seem unwarranted to do it. Gotta love these Malines! They really are perfect just the way they are. :) Phew, that's a load off my mind now! Thanks Bart, your opinion means a lot to me. :)

On a sad note, I lost 2 -14 week old cockerels Saturday night to a mink. :( I have set up 2 small traps to get it.

Well I am glad I convinced you. Not that I really had that as a goal, I merely wanted to put some different thoughts out there.

Too bad about your recent losses. I know it's part of life in the country but it's always miserable to deal with. Hope you got plenty of breeder boys left though.

Well I am glad I convinced you. Not that I really had that as a goal, I merely wanted to put some different thoughts out there.

Too bad about your recent losses. I know it's part of life in the country but it's always miserable to deal with. Hope you got plenty of breeder boys left though. 
You really made me think. It's really not worth doing with these birds. I find that the Malines really stand out as a breed apart from all others. I can't get over how much I enjoy these birds, so yeah, kind of bummed about the mink. Could've been worse. I still have Bruce, Boris & 5 younger cockerels. Still doing ok! :)

Shelly sounds like you have a nice group of cockerels to choose from! Keep three or four of them.

Hens are very promiscuous and having multiple cocks in your breeding pen well cause them to actually increase genetic diversity.

Hens promiscuous? LOL! What would be your description of the roosters then?

All kidding aside, I agree working with multiple roosters is much preferred. I never liked working with trio's and quads anyway. Back in Europe each and every poultry enthusiast I know practices flock breeding. I will probably have 4 roosters with around 20 hens next year for both the Malines as the Black Coppers. My Bielefelder flock will be 3 roosters with around 15 hens.

Last edited:
I currently have 3 nice roos out of 7. Big Bruce, Big Boris & this 'little' guy at 14 1/2 weeks.

His 4 brothers are not as well 'put together'. I have a total of 12 pullets, but still need to do one more cull. Probably won't cull that many. I have 19 Malines & 3 laying pullets/hens. Only have one 12' x 8' coop to get them thru the winter. Planning on building another large coop in 2014. :)

Back
Top Bottom