Belgian Malines Have Arrived!!!

DCchicken, I would reccomend you contact them and pose that question. This bird breed was imported into the USA ages ago. Who knows whats left and who has what. Greenfire Farms deals with many rare breeds. My grandparents raised birds fitting this discription and they were of dutch heritage coming in through New York, living in Kitchner Canada and settling in Roseville Michigan. They raised and traded these birds for meat back during the depression era. I still have relatives in Canada.

I don't want to speak for Greenfire, but their website (or Twitter feed) stated that they won't be selling them until Spring 2014. I was just wondering if anyone else had imported them into the U.S. similar to what happened with the Sulmtalers.

I don't want to speak for Greenfire, but their website (or Twitter feed) stated that they won't be selling them until Spring 2014.  I was just wondering if anyone else had imported them into the U.S. similar to what happened with the Sulmtalers.
There is no one else that I know of at this time, in the U.S. Doesn't mean there aren't any, I just don't have any knowledge of it. ;) Apparently, their (Greenfire) birds are around the same age as my youngest group right now. They are only about 15 weeks old, so that explains why there won't be any to sell until spring.

You can certainly take Our Roost's advice and speak with them directly. If you do, I'm sure other folks here would like to know the outcome. ;) Good luck! :)

My entire flock of 11 different breeds all come from Greenfire. So I have talked with them quite often this year. They are wonderful to work with. However since they don't offer the Malines just yet, I just wanted to know if anyone else has imported them into the United States. If not, is there anyone in Canada that would be willing to work with me to bring them here? It is always good to know that there are different flocks to improve diversity.

My entire flock of 11 different breeds all come from Greenfire. So I have talked with them quite often this year. They are wonderful to work with. However since they don't offer the Malines just yet, I just wanted to know if anyone else has imported them into the United States. If not, is there anyone in Canada that would be willing to work with me to bring them here? It is always good to know that there are different flocks to improve diversity.

Bart on this thread is where Shellz got her birds. I contacted him about egg shipment in the spring, and that could be a possibility.....he said chicks would not be an option.....too much required to enter the country....quarantine, etc. Eggs even have to be signed off on by a government approved veterinarian.

Some day a prince will come and I'll have eggs too!
:highfive: Yeah!!!
I've gotta say, the last cockerel we harvested several months ago, was the best ever!!! Had planned to process sooner than his 24 weeks, but life got in the way. Anywho, he dressed out at 5lbs & was the tastiest, tenderest bird yet! :D Not a tough spot on him. Magnificent eats! This boy had amazing sized thighs too. My fave part. ;) What is not to love about these birds?! I believe they truly live up to the standard of the ideal homestead bird. :love

Back
Top Bottom