Bellevue Nebraska Chicken Laws

BuzzKillBillZ

Hatching
Apr 12, 2017
Bellevue NE
This is from an email I received directly from the city code enforcement. After speaking with them over the phone today they told me that being a member of the forums here counts as belonging to an organization for exhibition. You just have to provide them a printed copy of your profile page. I will inform you all of my permits status as I apply for it.

The fee for the permit is $25 and it is good for 5 years. Here are the rules pertaining to chickens:

Raising of hens, subject to the following conditions:

8.12.01 Any person who keeps hens in the City of Bellevue or its zoning jurisdiction shall obtain a permit from the City prior to acquiring the hens. Application shall be made to the Permits and Inspections Division and the fee for the permit shall be as determined by Council resolution.
8.12.02 Permits expire and become invalid five (5) years after the date of issuance. A person who wishes to continue keeping hens shall have obtained a new permit on or before the expiration date of the previous permit. Application for a new permit shall be pursuant to the procedures and requirements that are applicable at the time the person applies for a new permit to include a plot plan showing the building envelope in which the coop may be located.
8.12.03 Any person who, in any zoning district of the City of Bellevue, was keeping hens prior to March 1, 2011, may continue to keep hens, provided, that such person shall obtain the required permit not later than November 1, 2011, and comply with the requirements for keeping or housing hens on his or her property as set forth herein. Such permit application shall include an affidavit signed by the applicant stating that the applicant was keeping hens on his or her property prior to March 1, 2011. (Ord. No. 3632, Sept. 12, 2011)
Persons in any zoning district of the City of Bellevue may keep hens on his/her property for the sole purpose of participating in livestock exhibitions such as 4-H or similar programs upon approval of a permit and in accordance with the provisions as set forth herein. (Ord. No. 3632, Sept. 12, 2011)
8.12.04 A person who keeps or houses hens on his or her property shall comply with all of the following requirements:
1. No more than 7 hens may be kept on any one zoning lot.
2. The principal use of the property shall be a single-family dwelling.
3. No person shall keep any rooster.
4. No person shall slaughter any hens.
5. The hens shall be provided with a covered enclosure and must be kept in the covered enclosure or a fenced enclosure at all times. Such covered enclosure or coop shall contain at least four square feet of floor area per hen, and the fenced enclosure shall provide at least ten square feet of open area per hen; no coop shall exceed 120 square feet of floor area or exceed 12 feet in height.
6. A person shall not keep hens in any location on the property other than in the rear yard. For purposes of this section, "rear yard" means that portion of a lot enclosed by the property's rear lot line and the side lot lines to the points where the side lot lines intersect with an imaginary line established by the rear of the dwelling and extending to the side lot lines.
7. No covered enclosure or fenced enclosure shall be located closer than 10 feet to any property line of an adjacent property.
8. All enclosures for the keeping of hens shall be so constructed or repaired as to prevent rats, mice, or other rodents from being harbored underneath, within, or within the walls of the enclosure. A covered enclosure or fenced enclosure shall not be located closer than 40 feet to any residential structure on another person’s property.
9. All feed and other items associated with the keeping of hens that are likely to attract or to become infested with or infected by rats, mice, or other rodents shall be protected so as to prevent rats, mice, or other rodents from gaining access to or coming into contact with them.
10. Eggs produced by permitted chickens may be sold by the permit holder.
11. If the above requirements are not complied with, the City may revoke any permit granted under this section and/or initiate prosecution for a civil infraction violation.
12. A person who has been issued a permit shall submit it for examination upon demand by any Police Officer or Code Enforcement Officer.

This is from an email I received directly from the city code enforcement. After speaking with them over the phone today they told me that being a member of the forums here counts as belonging to an organization for exhibition. You just have to provide them a printed copy of your profile page. I will inform you all of my permits status as I apply for it.

The fee for the permit is $25 and it is good for 5 years. Here are the rules pertaining to chickens:

Raising of hens, subject to the following conditions:

8.12.01 Any person who keeps hens in the City of Bellevue or its zoning jurisdiction shall obtain a permit from the City prior to acquiring the hens. Application shall be made to the Permits and Inspections Division and the fee for the permit shall be as determined by Council resolution.
8.12.02 Permits expire and become invalid five (5) years after the date of issuance. A person who wishes to continue keeping hens shall have obtained a new permit on or before the expiration date of the previous permit. Application for a new permit shall be pursuant to the procedures and requirements that are applicable at the time the person applies for a new permit to include a plot plan showing the building envelope in which the coop may be located.
8.12.03 Any person who, in any zoning district of the City of Bellevue, was keeping hens prior to March 1, 2011, may continue to keep hens, provided, that such person shall obtain the required permit not later than November 1, 2011, and comply with the requirements for keeping or housing hens on his or her property as set forth herein. Such permit application shall include an affidavit signed by the applicant stating that the applicant was keeping hens on his or her property prior to March 1, 2011. (Ord. No. 3632, Sept. 12, 2011)
Persons in any zoning district of the City of Bellevue may keep hens on his/her property for the sole purpose of participating in livestock exhibitions such as 4-H or similar programs upon approval of a permit and in accordance with the provisions as set forth herein. (Ord. No. 3632, Sept. 12, 2011)
8.12.04 A person who keeps or houses hens on his or her property shall comply with all of the following requirements:
1. No more than 7 hens may be kept on any one zoning lot.
2. The principal use of the property shall be a single-family dwelling.
3. No person shall keep any rooster.
4. No person shall slaughter any hens.
5. The hens shall be provided with a covered enclosure and must be kept in the covered enclosure or a fenced enclosure at all times. Such covered enclosure or coop shall contain at least four square feet of floor area per hen, and the fenced enclosure shall provide at least ten square feet of open area per hen; no coop shall exceed 120 square feet of floor area or exceed 12 feet in height.
6. A person shall not keep hens in any location on the property other than in the rear yard. For purposes of this section, "rear yard" means that portion of a lot enclosed by the property's rear lot line and the side lot lines to the points where the side lot lines intersect with an imaginary line established by the rear of the dwelling and extending to the side lot lines.
7. No covered enclosure or fenced enclosure shall be located closer than 10 feet to any property line of an adjacent property.
8. All enclosures for the keeping of hens shall be so constructed or repaired as to prevent rats, mice, or other rodents from being harbored underneath, within, or within the walls of the enclosure. A covered enclosure or fenced enclosure shall not be located closer than 40 feet to any residential structure on another person’s property.
9. All feed and other items associated with the keeping of hens that are likely to attract or to become infested with or infected by rats, mice, or other rodents shall be protected so as to prevent rats, mice, or other rodents from gaining access to or coming into contact with them.
10. Eggs produced by permitted chickens may be sold by the permit holder.
11. If the above requirements are not complied with, the City may revoke any permit granted under this section and/or initiate prosecution for a civil infraction violation.
12. A person who has been issued a permit shall submit it for examination upon demand by any Police Officer or Code Enforcement Officer.

I am new to Sarpy County and was wondering... were you successfully in getting your permit? I am also looking to apply for a permit since I want to raise RIRs again!

Hi I’m new here and I’m looking into getting chickens in Bellevue Ne, wanting long to know where do you get your permit application? And have you had any issues getting it approved?

Back
Top Bottom