Beloved dog attacked beloved chickens. UPDATE-BOTH GONE pg 5 :-(

Quote:
ep.gif
At the very real risk of their eyesight!!!!!!!!!
th.gif
Not now not ever ...........
duc.gif

The dog that did this only has one eye so we won't be trying that!
tongue.png

Quote:
Your best bet at this point in time would be to dog-proof the chickens' coop/run. Then, work on the dogs as best you can and limit the dogs' access to the birds when you cannot train them.

Note to others - getting a rescue dog is a great goal, but make sure, when you do, you explain to the rescue exactly what your situation is. Sometimes your best bet is a dog that has not had a horrible life. You can still help care for the really abused in other ways - donating money for their care, food, supplies (newspapers, clorox, toys) and perhaps transportation. It's ok if your family situation really needs a dog without too many issues. Many dogs end up homeless due to death of the owner, divorce, moving, etc. They're pretty well adjusted and due to age, perhaps they get overlooked by potential adopters.

The rescue we got this particular dog from was very unscrupulous. We did ask for a very mellow dog with no/little issues. What we got was a dog that was nearly dead and had some major issues. By the time we got him home we realized he was emaciated and sick and was a biter. But we could not give up on him.

As I said before he is transformed. He is a great, great dog.... that likes to terrorize chickens. We will do whatever it takes to train him and keep the chickens safe. When we got him, we didn't have a child and we didn't have chickens but he is family now.

He's a very lucky doggie to have ended up in your family. But that rescue has no business dealing in stuffed animals, much less live ones.

You got that right, fourpaws. He is lucky indeed, and that rescue... well, I just don't get it...

The chickens are still in shock and not eating/drinking. I managed to get some electrolytes/vitamins in them through a dropper tonight. I guess I should have started dropper feeding them sooner. I hope they make it through tonight. They really don't deserve any of this...

Last edited:
Two suggestions. The first you probably won't like;

1. Use a pellet gun on the dog every time he gets near the chickens. He'll learn pretty quickly.
2. Dogs do not like shrill noises. Chickens (at least mine) don't seem to mind. Try a whistle.

Another possibility although I haven't tried it. Using a garden hose on the dog?

I am not a gun person, even a pellet gun. I have been shot with one and it is awful. Remember this is a really small dog.

Just so you guys don't think he's awful, he's the one in the back with the green t-shirt..

90790_junidarbyxmas.jpg

Gotta love 'em...

I had the same situation in July. My dog pulled all the tail feathers out of one of my hens, meat and skin came with them. Her hiney was a mess! I kept her wound clean and sprayed with iodine and Blu-Kote. I kept her in the house in a clean cage for about 10 days until the wound was dry and scabbed over well. I put electrolytes and vitamins in her water and gave her extra protein (scrambled eggs and meal worms). She ate and drank very little the first couple of days, I didn't think she would live. She was very weak and didn't move around much. Then she perked up, began eating more. I had to re-introduce her to the flock, they were not very nice to her at first, but with time she integrated back in nicely. She lays eggs now and is slowly replacing her feathers.

I moved the invisible fence wire to be in front of the coop so the hens can get away from the dog when they are out now. That seems to have worked for us. I hope yours recovers!
hugs.gif

Quote:
I have been thinking about the invisible fence, but how can I convince my husband to spend more money on the chickens? He is already hoping they will lay golden eggs...
hide.gif

Quote:
Really really good advice with the pooch. No one should really leave their doggy alone with chickens, it's just too tempting for the dogs. My placid 14yo Pomeranian, sits & stares
at our new Rooster. Im lucky he isnt a digging pooch, but I have my eye & ear on the lookout continuously until the dog gets used to the rooster being there with all his funny
noises he makes.

If I leave the house, I put the rooster back into the enclosed part of the coop. As I wouldnt want the rooster jumping out or a cat getting into the run.
As it is, I have to put him in a pet traveller in the garage at night, cos the crowing in the morning is at 6am, not conducive to good neighbourhood relations!!!

I would be in shock as well if I came home to bloody & injured chickens. You have done the right thing & if it makes you feel better, give them a cuddle & a nurturing talk, they would probably appreciate it.

PS: I accidently left the lid off the brooder in my house. BUT the dog was in there too with good access to the chicks. God love him...he didnt touch them, I raced home when I remembered. That was lucky, but I wont make the same boo boo again.

Its great to see such a caring owner as well, good luck..
frow.gif

Thank you, chick-a-dee. I am still beating myself up a bit but getting a little better. It's very hard when you raise them from chicks and they look at you like "mommy". I feel like I failed them. I can't believe how attached I am to them!

Back
Top Bottom