Beltsville small White Turkey

Catastrophic

Songster
Apr 1, 2021
Shawnee, Kansas
I have had the chance to get a few Beltsville small White Turkeys and I am wondering what there usual temperament is because I have heard that some turkeys can be aggressive. I'm planning on getting 2 turkey hens and one tom And if they can live with around 13 hens and a Ameraucana rooster. Thanks!

I have had the chance to get a few Beltsville small White Turkeys and I am wondering what there usual temperament is because I have heard that some turkeys can be aggressive. I'm planning on getting 2 turkey hens and one tom And if they can live with around 13 hens and a Ameraucana rooster. Thanks!
More hens would be better..

Aggressiveness in turkeys is usually more due to how they are raised than which variety. None of my turkeys are human aggressive but they have not been human imprinted and are not pets. Even so I would not allow small children around them unsupervised. There is no way to predict a turkeys reaction to a turkey sized person. Even if the normal reaction is known, turkey behavior can change for unknown reasons. When they get something in their mind, they are relentless until they have fulfilled their mission.

There is also proof that an improper diet can play a part in turkey aggression.

If keeping turkeys with chickens, make sure that blackhead is not an issue in your area. It can be a death sentence to turkeys. If blackhead is not a problem, make sure there is lots of room, obstacles and hiding places for the chickens.

Ok, Blackhead has not been in issue because my neighbors have kept turkeys and chickens and they said they never had any problems. And I'm planning to let them free-range for most of the day.

Back
Top Bottom