Beltsville Small White Turkey

Hello from New York (upstate). I have been following this thread and would like to raise small white turkeys next year. Right now I have a small flock of 10 sweetgrass and bourbon reds that I hatched from purchased eggs last year. They have all been infected with MG that I manage with Denagard. I did manage to hatch out 6 poults in the incubator this year, but they have recurring symptoms, so will have to process the whole flock and let the ground rest later this year to get the MG gone. I would hope that perhaps I could get hatching eggs from one or both of you next year to start a flock of Beltsvilles.

Sad that this current flock has to go. I picked up the disease at a local tailgate that happens every month, same place and person I got the hatching eggs from. The infected chickens looked and acted healthy for 4 months and then developed symptoms. Meanwhile all my poultry got sick. The medication cleared it up nicely in the chickens, but the turkeys had a harder time with it, I think because they have a narrower airway in relation to their size.

So please keep posting, I find your conversation interesting. I hatch with a Farm Innovator styrofoam incubator that tends to get haywire at 2 weeks. I think it is the heat the embryos are generating. Bought a Brinsea and it is as bad as the LG I started with so it is sitting in the corner gathering dust (chick dust)
smile.png

I got mine from Jerry and he said that he tried it years ago and was successful. I just hatched mine out June 1 and I plan on testing it next spring.

Hello from New York (upstate).  I have been following this thread and would like to raise small white turkeys next year.  Right now I have a small flock of 10 sweetgrass and bourbon reds that I hatched from purchased eggs last year.  They have all been infected with MG that I manage with Denagard.  I did manage to hatch out 6 poults in the incubator this year, but they have recurring symptoms, so will have to process the whole flock and let the ground rest later this year to get the MG gone.  I would hope that perhaps I could get hatching eggs from one or both of you next year to start a flock of Beltsvilles.

Sad that this current flock has to go.  I picked up the disease at a local tailgate that happens every month, same place and person I got the hatching eggs from.  The infected chickens looked and acted healthy for 4 months and then developed symptoms.  Meanwhile all my poultry got sick.  The medication cleared it up nicely in the chickens, but the turkeys had a harder time with it, I think because they have a narrower airway in relation to their size.

So please keep posting, I find your conversation interesting.  I hatch with a Farm Innovator styrofoam incubator that tends to get haywire at 2 weeks.  I think it is the heat the embryos are generating.  Bought a Brinsea and it is as bad as the LG I started with so it is sitting in the corner gathering dust (chick dust) :) .

I would be glad to send some once I figure out the logistics of it and I get enough hatched out for myself, if hopefully I end up with a tom and a hen.

I'm looking for Beltsville poults, I'm in Indiana, ty for any help
have a Beltsville hen that is laying and have 9 of her eggs in the incubator currently. I am also in the process of being NPIP certified so by the time all of the NPIP stuff is done I should have an idea of fertility rate and if you would like could send you some eggs. probably would only do a half dozen at a time but would be willing to send as many as you want.

have a Beltsville hen that is laying and have 9 of her eggs in the incubator currently. I am also in the process of being NPIP certified so by the time all of the NPIP stuff is done I should have an idea of fertility rate and if you would like could send you some eggs.  probably would only do a half dozen at a time but would be willing to send as many as you want.
that would be wonderful! Please keep me posted! 6 would be plenty.

I have 1 female beltville turkey.She is so broody, shes sitting on her and duck eggs. But there is no male and I can't find one. She is our only turkey. I was given a pair to carry on the breed, which turned out to be 2 females. Her pal got taken. Please if I could please get a male or some eggs, Bell would be the happiest Beltsville in wv and not the only one anymore.

So excited! I'm getting 5 five week old BW poults from someone local who got their birds from Jerry Poole. Thanks to all the information on this thread I was able to ask the right questions to make sure these are BW and not MW.

Back
Top Bottom