Bessemer Thread Revisited - No Flaming :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Someone asked "how much do they weigh?". I'm still wondering the same. How much DO they weigh? Maybe you have jumbe BOs????

A breed breeds true. Whether it not it's in any kind of Standard it has to breed true over multiple generations to be considered a breed. You won't know what these birds are hiding genetically till you breed a few generations.

I sympathize, but I'm afraid that you can't put up photos of a few birds, even if they all look the same as eachother, and claim it's a breed. All breeds started out in similarly small ways, but they all had to survive the test of breeding true to be recognized in modern times as a breed. There is a process to go through, and it involves more than photos on BYC. Good for you if you are willing to embark on that process.

You'll find that some offspring will turn out like dark Orpingtons (brown heads) and some like light or blonde Orpingtons (two doses of blue). That in itself is not a problem from a breed perspective, it's just the way blue works.

I live less then an hour from you and would love to join in and help make this breed a breed. I'd love some eggs to hatch out for myself. Is that possible
smile.png

Quote:
It's $150 for a piece of paper stating that these adult ducks don't carry some dreaded desease. It's only $100 for hatchlings (so I've ben told. Never actually gone through the exporting deal).

Quote:
They could be called Jumbo BOs, but since there is no such thing that I know of, isn't it easier to just call them Bessemers? Haven't weighed them yet. For some odd reason (don't quite understand it), it's hard to catch a duck, and get it to sit pretty on a scale.

Last edited:
Erm....Call me blonde yet again BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You just said there is no such thing as a Jumbo BO....BUT.....There is also no such thing as a Bessemere coz you decided to give those ducks that name out of the blue, you might as well call them Fartblossom ducks for all we care.
Sure does sound like April 1st to me.

Jumbo Buff Orpingtons would not be a "breed", they would be a "strain". Its just like pekins have jumbo pekins and the grimaud hybrid (not actually a hybrid, but a mix of 2 different pekin strains), among others. But all are still just pekins.

If you want to weigh your ducks (I'm still very curious), put one in a box, and weigh the box both full, and then empty.

Last edited:
Quote:
To stop the ranting, accusations, and somewhat negative responses. However, my plan backfired, and I have that type of stuff going on in another one of my threads (breed Origins thread). I still personally call them Bessies. But I figure, until I can answer all there questions, I better just give them what they want...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom