Best advice for a newbie

In my opinion, "treats" are unlikely to be the cause of chick mortality unless you're feeding them something that shouldn't be fed to any chicken, like very salty foods. Chicks raised by hens eat all manner of things from their first day out of the nest and manage just fine.

It seems to be a sad fact that a certain percentage of the stock from hatcheries will fail to thrive no matter what you do. Some of them can't stand the stress of shipping and others just seem to have genetic problems.

The best advice I could give is just to sit and observe your chicks every day. You'll get to know their normal behavior and that way you'll know what's not normal so you can nip any developing problems in the bud. Check for pasty butt every morning and every evening.

Read up about cecal poop. The first cecal poop always freaks people out, but it's perfectly normal. And many people spot a full crop for the first time and think it's a tumor. It's not!

Quote:
OMG....I can surely see myself installing pavers, Cause I am the worlds biggest clutz without slippery ground! Thank you so much for your suggestions, I definitely didn't think of some of them and glad I know now. Especially the velociraptors....wont due to have jurassic chickens.

Well we picked up the first two new babies this evening. 2 seriously mischevious silver laced wyandottes. I am in LOVE:love The rest of our new flock is due to arrive tomorrow now(they didn't hatch as planned) But should be ready to go tomorrow. I can't wait. I already have a super camera, bought it for the upcomming wedding, but chickens are great practice,lol. I have decided to name them Loki and Aria. Loki because she has been causing trouble since she arrived, and Aria because she has been peeping for the last few hours. I am starting to wonder if this is normal. The other one seems pretty quiet. I don't mind it, but my step son is probably not going to sleep well this evening. My kids would sleep through a train wreck, so I am not worried about them. We definitely have room for more...even on top of our six pack,lol. I appreciate everyones post. So much great info. Definitely some things to look into. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom