Help me decide: chicks or pullets?

Pics

Flixflaxnoob

Chirping
Jan 5, 2024
Pennsylvania
Help me decide if I should be getting chicks or pullets. I have a 4yo who is very eager about getting chickens. He is very gentle and loves little animals. We've been watching a lot of videos on caring for chicks. We are new to this hobby and only planning on 4-6 hens. I am starting to get overwhelmed by the care involved, but still excited to embark on this journey. I was initially leaning towards chicks more so they would bond easier with us, especially my son. How easy is it to get the same bond if starting with pullets? What other factors should I consider when making this decision?

Attachments

• chick-1572370_1280.jpg
    chick-1572370_1280.jpg
    331.8 KB · Views: 1,171
Depends on what you mean by "bond". You should not go into this thinking every bird is going to be like a pet. Very few actually enjoy physical interaction for more than a minute or so. If you are just looking for a flock that will not run away whenever they see you, and would not mind, even enjoy your presence, then you will not be disappointed. Chicks are enticing due to their cuteness, but require different things from started pullets. I would say go with pullets. If you put in the work, and choose some nice breeds, then you should be able to form a beautiful connection. Be careful with your choice of pullets, get them from a trusted source, as not to bring illness and disease into your property

Depends on what you mean by "bond". You should not go into this thinking every bird is going to be like a pet. Very few actually enjoy physical interaction for more than a minute or so. If you are just looking for a flock that will not run away whenever they see you, and would not mind, even enjoy your presence, then you will not be disappointed. Chicks are enticing due to their cuteness, but require different things from started pullets. I would say go with pullets. If you put in the work, and choose some nice breeds, then you should be able to form a beautiful connection. Be careful with your choice of pullets, get them from a trusted source, as not to bring illness and disease into your property
Ideally, I would love to have a few hens that wouldn't mind being held and "pet." I read some breeds are more likely to enjoy that type of interaction than others. It would also be easier if they ever needed any type of medical attention. We teach our son that every animal has their own boundaries and to respect that. We have a dog who acts more like a cat and isn't into pets, but just likes to be around his people. He will actually snap at us if his boundaries aren't respected (not the best family dog), so we're very sensitive to that when it comes to raising animals.

Actually, my little 9/10 chicken I am currently raising never runs from anyone unless she was being chased before I came over. She always follows me around the yard and when I call her she comes. I know as babies they would listen more knowing I was the first face they saw but I believe the whole flock will grow up to be great pets.

Ideally, I would love to have a few hens that wouldn't mind being held and "pet." I read some breeds are more likely to enjoy that type of interaction than others. It would also be easier if they ever needed any type of medical attention. We teach our son that every animal has their own boundaries and to respect that. We have a dog who acts more like a cat and isn't into pets, but just likes to be around his people. He will actually snap at us if his boundaries aren't respected (not the best family dog), so we're very sensitive to that when it comes to raising animals.

It is true, a chicken that doesn't mind being handled is easier to deal with whenever it has some sort of issue that needs to be addressed. I have found that the friendly breeds, for the most part, tolerate the handling, not necessarily enjoy it. You will have some that will actually enjoy the personal attention, but not many. Are you hoping for a certain look, size, colour, etc? What's your climate like?

It is true, a chicken that doesn't mind being handled is easier to deal with whenever it has some sort of issue that needs to be addressed. I have found that the friendly breeds, for the most part, tolerate the handling, not necessarily enjoy it. You will have some that will actually enjoy the personal attention, but not many. Are you hoping for a certain look, size, colour, etc? What's your climate like?
Well you’re half correct there. Usually it depends on how gentle you are with them. As long as you visit them allot feed them and play with them, I’m sure they would be great pets.

Hi. Very excited for you all. Don't be deterred you can definitely raise pet chickens! I started raising chickens just under 3 years ago. I have 6 girls now (all different breeds) and they all love to sit next to me and pile up on me when I lie down outside on the sofa. They run towards me as soon as they hear the back gate opening and follow me around until they get bored (and realize I don't have treats!)
I think you just need to spend a lot of time with them, be gentle and patient, then they'll get used to you and your presence. Of course, some breeds are friendlier than others so start off by selecting those breeds.

As far as chicks versus pullets...if you can raise them from chicks that is the preference if you want to bond with them and have them used to people from the beginning. Essentially 'hand raising' them. I've raised baby chicks and have also purchased pullets. 2 of my girls I got when they were about 10 weeks. They had been hand-raised from baby chicks by another lady I found on Craigslist. So when I brought them home, they were just as tamed as my own babies! So I would say if you go with pullets, where you get them will make a difference. If they had no/little human interaction prior then I would believe they would be more difficult to 'train'. (And of course like others pointed out, be sure you are careful and selective in where you get them no matter what you decide!).

Help me decide if I should be getting chicks or pullets.
Since your only getting 4 to 6, definitely get the chicks. Especially for your son who will learn about the responsibility of caring for animals and it will be a great learning experience watching them grow. A couple of chicks are simple to care for, dont get overwhelmed with all the ridiculous info. Keep them warm and fed. Once a day mash up a hard boiled egg and as you and your child approach the chicks have a simple call like "chick, chick, chick". They will quickly become conditioned to run to you. Best wishes, your gonna love it!

Well you’re half correct there. Usually it depends on how gentle you are with them. As long as you visit them allot feed them and play with them, I’m sure they would be great pets.

And yet, my aseel needed five minutes to warm up to me, while my Tsouloufates took 2 months. Breed and individual temperament is important. The technique can be the same

Back
Top Bottom