Best Age To Butcher Black Sexlinks Roosters?

Christiancowboy

In the Brooder
May 27, 2022
It was never my intention to breed black Sexlinks. As a matter of fact I sold my black Sexlinks hens and my black ameraurcanas because I only want to raise heritage breeds and crosses for setting and free ranging.
To make a long story short, I ended up keeping my Ameraucana/Game cross rooster because he's a very good protector, and pea combed. Plus, I couldn't find a black or red black Breasted cock to breed with. My hens are pure game, pure rose comb brown leghorns, and barred rock/cochin crosses.
For my first two Incubator settings I just set eggs from the game hens and rose comb brown leghorns. I knew they'd be slower growers, so I wanted to give them a head start.
My third setting which just hatched a week ago was mostly eggs from the barred rock, and barred/Cochin Hens. As they started hatching, I noticed they were basically black with white streaks on their heads. So, I realized I had actually breed Sexlinks instead of heritage crosses as was my intention. I did end up getting several Pullets as well. Plus, I also got some solid light yellow chicks from the olive eggs.
Now to my question... What is the best age to butcher these black sexlink stags (roosters) at?

Last edited:
You've got a number of concepts in your post above which I'll try to address.

First, what you have are barnyard mixes that may be sexlinked (I got a bit lost as to what rooster went over what hen...so a solid rooster over a barred hen will produce sexlinking).

However being sexlinked has nothing to do with how fast or slow they grow. For that you look at your underlying breeds. You've got mixed breeds so it's harder to tell. *Generally* I find my mixed breeds grow relatively faster...not as fast as the hatchery sex link hybrids (which are very specific combinations according the the hatchery recipe), and definitely not as fast as the altered cornish crosses, but not as slowly as my larger body heritage breeds (Marans).

Then you look at body type. I *think* I followed you are dealing with layer body types mostly, with some Cochin (slower grower), which means you will likely have a bit lighter carcass. I find my mixed breed layer type boys take a bit longer to "beef" up. (My fastest to table were my Buckeye which are specifically bred to be fast to table).

So my best guess would be 5 to 6 months. You could try to take carcasses at 4 months, but I'm not sure you get much meat off of them.

My best guess. Others who do this a lot more than I do will likely have better input.

LofMc

A lot depends on how you want to cook them , along with above answers
Screenshot_20201124-175957.png

Link to article is in my signature, I think it's the 2nd link

You've got a number of concepts in your post above which I'll try to address.

First, what you have are barnyard mixes that may be sexlinked (I got a bit lost as to what rooster went over what hen...so a solid rooster over a barred hen will produce sexlinking).

However being sexlinked has nothing to do with how fast or slow they grow. For that you look at your underlying breeds. You've got mixed breeds so it's harder to tell. *Generally* I find my mixed breeds grow relatively faster...not as fast as the hatchery sex link hybrids (which are very specific combinations according the the hatchery recipe), and definitely not as fast as the altered cornish crosses, but not as slowly as my larger body heritage breeds (Marans).

Then you look at body type. I *think* I followed you are dealing with layer body types mostly, with some Cochin (slower grower), which means you will likely have a bit lighter carcass. I find my mixed breed layer type boys take a bit longer to "beef" up. (My fastest to table were my Buckeye which are specifically bred to be fast to table).

So my best guess would be 5 to 6 months. You could try to take carcasses at 4 months, but I'm not sure you get much meat off of them.

My best guess. Others who do this a lot more than I do will likely have better input.

LofMc
I think that you misunderstood my chickens breeds. My hens are: Pure Game, which are smaller then your regular laying chicken breeds. However, they are extremely hardy free rangers, and very flirty and much more capable of getting away from predators. Next hens are Pure Rose Comb Leghorns...they compare the same as the pure game hens. Next are Barred/Cochin Cross Hens, basically dual hens. Next are Barred Rock Hens...dual purpose hens as well. All are Heritage. As for my Rooster: He is a Ameraucana/Game Cross and weights about 12 lbs., But gets around very well, much like the game and rose comb hens, especially for his size.
I've raised game chickens all my life. My goal is just to add a little size to my flock for meat purposes. That's why I've added the barred rocks, and barred cocking cross hens. I basically understand what I'm doing, and where I'm going with my breeding. I was just giving some background as to how in the process, I accidentally breed some black Sexlinks.
I've heard that there are prime ages to butcher dual purpose chickens, and was just wanting to know what it is.

Thank you for clarification.

With the hybrids it is so hard to guess. I had dual purpose heritage Buckeye that are bred specifically to go to table by 16 to 18 weeks. Nothing else has come close to their development in my experience of layer types. Games can be lighter or heavier depending on game type.

So if you have a medium carcass type and medium grower, and I like roasters, I waited 5 months. I was only pleased with the Buckeyes though. I'm spoiled by the size and tenderness of grocery store Cornish cross roasters.

LofMc

Thank you for clarification.

With the hybrids it is so hard to guess. I had dual purpose heritage Buckeye that are bred specifically to go to table by 16 to 18 weeks. Nothing else has come close to their development in my experience of layer types. Games can be lighter or heavier depending on game type.

So if you have a medium carcass type and medium grower, and I like roasters, I waited 5 months. I was only pleased with the Buckeyes though. I'm spoiled by the size and tenderness of grocery store Cornish cross roasters.

LofMc
I've also got some Buckeye Chicks that are a week old. It worked good that my others hatched the same time.
Here's a picture of my three year old rooster. He's a Game/Ameraucana Cross but weights about twelve pounds...this the name Big Boy.

Here's a picture of my rooster Big Boy, it didn't go through before. He's Game/Ameraucana Cross and weights about twelve pounds.

I'm just wondering about these black sexlink stags I breed by accident. I've heard that there's a best age to butcher dual purpose breed stages at, but can't remember.
Best age for what?
Link I posted was for cooking methods.
Others posted for feed costs and size. Three different Best things have three different Best ages

Back
Top Bottom