Best Automatic Coop Door?

Beni

In the Brooder
Apr 17, 2017
I'm a first-timer at raising chickens and my first flock (12 birds) is just about ready to be turned out. I know I want to install an automatic coop door either on a timer or with a light sensor. The two brands that look best so far are the Ador chicken door and the Pullet-Shut Door. I'd appreciate any recommendations / warnings or other thoughts to consider before I make a purchase! Thanks in advance :)

Love my ChickenGuard extreme, $15 discount they are a BYC sponsor I think the code was backyard15

It has a light sensor/meter you can program to shut the door. I went out at dusk and watched the chickens put themselves away. checked the light meter on the door and it was whatever number, I think 200 so I set it to shut at a lower number, 190 I think. Now without fail the chickens use their internal light meter to go to bed and the door shuts 8-10 minutes later. I do not use it to let them out, I do that manually and randomly, I do not want them making noise to get out at certain times every day and prefer them locked up when I am away.

Batteries supposed to last a year...

Gary

I'm not familiar with the Ador, but I have three Pullet-Shut doors and absolutely LOVE them.

They are very well designed and very easy to install. I don't use them in conjunction with the optional light sensor; instead I just reset the door every couple of months as days get longer or shorter. All of the doors are under some type of roof (associated with a chicken run), so they aren't directly exposed to sunlight or rain, although I don't think you have to shelter the door from weather. I've had no mechanical problems with them over the 3 to 4 years that I've had them. All of mine are powered by the optional solar panels that you can order with the door. I had to replace one of the batteries after a couple years of use, but that's not a big expense.

Last edited:
Love my ChickenGuard extreme, $15 discount they are a BYC sponsor I think the code was backyard15

It has a light sensor/meter you can program to shut the door. I went out at dusk and watched the chickens put themselves away. checked the light meter on the door and it was whatever number, I think 200 so I set it to shut at a lower number, 190 I think. Now without fail the chickens use their internal light meter to go to bed and the door shuts 8-10 minutes later. I do not use it to let them out, I do that manually and randomly, I do not want them making noise to get out at certain times every day and prefer them locked up when I am away.

Batteries supposed to last a year...

Gary
Thanks Gary, we appreciate the kind words. We are proud to be a BYC sponsor and the special BYC coupon discount of $15 "backyard15" is still valid. Thank you for your business!

While I designed my own automagic chicken door so I can't comment on commercial doors, the first design I had a light sensor and I found out rather quickly that was not very good when a thunder storm came up and it got dark enough to close the door before the chickens could get back inside... I had to go out in the rain and manually open the door for them. So I through that idea in the bit bucket.

JT

I had a Titan Incubator automatic door opener and it lasted only about eight months before the sensor and display screen went and it started opening the door in the middle of the night, and wouldn't close at nightfall. I'm lucky I didn't wake up to a fox attack. It had a mind of it's own so I had to stop using it. Titan wouldn't believe me when I told them, and wanted me to send them pics of my set-up, and of the back motherboard while the engine was running with a counterweight of so many grammes, they also wanted me to carry out other tests with the sensor... basically jobs an engineer would do. I did all the tests and it still wouldn’t work. I sent it back and they sent me a new one but refused to refund my postage. They told me there was nothing wrong with it...they never believed me in the first place. Poor customer service with a useless product. I have heard that ChickenGaurd are brilliant, so I will be buying from them in future. On a positive note, I swear by having a reliable one. It beats getting up at 5am in the middle of the summer to let the girls out.

Thanks Fonkymc, we'll be happy to help when you are ready to switch to ChickenGuard. We pride ourselves on a quality product and strive for excellent customer service.

Hi - this looks great - I am interested in this set up.
Just wondering if there is any chance that the solar panels malfunction if the day isnt sunny enough? Thanks! -Kate

Back
Top Bottom