best brand of chicken feed?

You are use scratch and peck brand as well as H and H brand. I went or ferment them. I do wish that the companies that made this type of feed would emphasize the fact that wetting it or fermenting it would be more beneficial for the chickens to get all the nutrients out of it. They are too expensive not to get all the benefits out of them.

we had tried that Dumore from TS & for our flock it really was such a do less.!!! & a disaster for our flock ...!
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif
& what happened the eggs went down pretty fast & we were stunned & that was the only changes we had made since our feed store was out of the brand we always got, for 2 months in a row
barnie.gif
so my advice, i would just call around to see if any feed stores carried mana pro family farm egg maker 15 , its a crumbles feed in a 40 lb bag , but warning it sells out really fast..! & also check your local Walmart they carry it , so good luck.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
I would stick with Purina. The hen in my photo is a six year old, and those are her eggs from that week. Had her since she was two. Started on Purina Layena crumbles and game cock feed had eggs ever since, all year around.

Purina also offers a lot of video on YouTube.

We to have been using Purina feed, our Bard Rocks and Black Sex Links lay year round with a heat lamp in the winter. This web site is the most informative site ever. Thank you

we had tried that Dumore from TS & for our flock it really was such a do less.!!! & a disaster for our flock ...!
rant.gif
somad.gif
tongue.gif
what happened the eggs went down pretty fast & we were stunned & that was the only changes we had made since our feed store was out of the brand we always got, for 2 months in a row
barnie.gif
so my advice, i would just call around to see if feed stores carried mana pro & also check your local walmart has mana pro
thumbsup.gif

Would like more information. That may have been the only changes you made but what time of year was it? Were any hens molting? Did anyone go broody or could someone have been hiding her eggs? There are so many reasons egg production can lessen.

dumore feed was the only changes that was made during that time, & the time of year was September to October, it still always sunny here unless it rains ..lol.. plus my girls were not molting at the time , since in southern AZ we usually never have any loss for sun with winter days at 70 degrees or higher so winter is just a few months of cold nights but never any cold days & we always get eggs year round & no one has ever gone broody yet, sadly to say
roll.png
i have been waiting , to try out our new pure bred splash Australorp roo, mr. GHOST, but maybe we need to get a nice silky hen for a good broody around here.? plus my hens have always been very good about laying all the time no matter what & always in there favorite nest boxes, we have never found an egg out of place , but really we do have a good deal more nest boxes & even double of what is needed for the amount of hens we have & even 8 extra boxes on the back porch that are dearly love buy my girls who Love being near the back door...lol.. so i have no other conclusion ,except for it must have been that feed..????
rant.gif
somad.gif
.??????? & these are some of our older mixed breed hens that are molting & still laying Jan 30th 2015

Last edited:
dumore feed was the only changes that was made during that time, & the time of year was September to October, my girls were not molting at the time here in southern AZ & no one has ever gone broody yet, sadly to say
roll.png
i have been waiting ..lol.. to try out our new pure bred splash australorp roo, mr. GHOST, & maybe i need to get a nice silky hen for a good broody around here.? plus my hens have always been very good about laying in each of there favorite nest boxes, we have never found an egg out of place , but really we have a good deal more nest boxes & even double of what is needed for the amount of hens we have & even 8 extra boxes on the back porch that are dearly love buy my girls who Love being near the back door...lol.. so i have no other conclusion ,except for it must have been that feed..????
rant.gif
somad.gif
.?????????????????
There's your sign. Declining day length for hens after their first winter will cause a slowdown or stoppage of egg laying till after the winter solstice.

I've used Dumor occasionally. I've also used just about every other brand sold around here plus what our co-op has shipped in. I've never experienced any change in lay regardless of the brand. There shouldn't be either, as long as it is fresh. All chicken feed is formulated to have basically the same nutritional balance other than protein and calcium percentages.

yes you could say that, but usually the proof is in the pudding , as they say & logic being part of that ,i should have said this sooner sorry , but after starting back on our original choice of feed , the amount of eggs went back up ..? & so logically its hard to explain that away..?
smile.png
since we do worry over our hens health & have an egg business but its never been about eggs originally , we just had to many eggs..lol.. & started selling them
smile.png
wink.png
& our hens lay all winter with out any problems, so never again will we be making any changes away form the feed that we find works best for our little dears & no matter what we only want healthy hens first & above all else , so we have learned our lesson , its not whats on the label that counts,since no laws are over seeing truth on animal feed labels, but rather its how the feed shows is true worth that counts..! We have no connections or investments or other wise, in any feed companies , we just want the best healthy hens ever, so that's about all i can say , except for HAVE A GOOD ONE ALL & HAPPY NEW YEAR to every one on BYC & to all our WONDERFUL Hens we say we love you girls ,
D.gif
ya.gif
clap.gif
jumpy.gif
yesss.gif
big_smile.png
wink.png
thumbsup.gif
yippiechickie.gif
highfive.gif
frow.gif

Last edited: