best brand of chicken feed?

GREAT INFO & THANKS
thumbsup.gif
highfive.gif
take care & have a good new year ..!
frow.gif

I have fed Scratch & Peck organic (corn and soy free) layer since my 6 year old hens began laying several years ago. My ladies always looked great and our avian vet has deemed them in excellent health every year--even at 6 years of age. They are also STILL laying 4-6 eggs a week this season! I always add a little water in their breakfast to make it just a little sticky so they get the vitamin and mineral powder. Sometimes I'll add a little baby food or yogurt in addition for a treat.

We are getting 3 new 8 week old pullets this week and were planning on trying the Organic Purina starter crumbles as they are used to eating crumbles. I'm getting 2 weeks worth of medicated chick starter that they are being fed now so we can be sure they won't have issues from stress or when they go on our soil (new coccidia in all different areas) and of course to mix with new feed. They will be in a "quarantine" secure chicken tractor and once they are deemed clean and healthy we will move the tractor next to the big girl coop and after a week or two will introduce into the big coop. Then we will see if the old ladies will like layer crumbles or feed the two types of feed in two different feeders.

I will say that they get each get a few air dried mealworms every day and occasionally some BOSS and greens. I try to keep the feed at 90% or more of their complete diet. ;)

I have fed Scratch & Peck organic (corn and soy free) layer since my 6 year old hens began laying several years ago. My ladies always looked great and our avian vet has deemed them in excellent health every year--even at 6 years of age. They are also STILL laying 4-6 eggs a week this season! I always add a little water in their breakfast to make it just a little sticky so they get the vitamin and mineral powder. Sometimes I'll add a little baby food or yogurt in addition for a treat.

We are getting 3 new 8 week old pullets this week and were planning on trying the Organic Purina starter crumbles as they are used to eating crumbles. I'm getting 2 weeks worth of medicated chick starter that they are being fed now so we can be sure they won't have issues from stress or when they go on our soil (new coccidia in all different areas) and of course to mix with new feed. They will be in a "quarantine" secure chicken tractor and once they are deemed clean and healthy we will move the tractor next to the big girl coop and after a week or two will introduce into the big coop. Then we will see if the old ladies will like layer crumbles or feed the two types of feed in two different feeders.

I will say that they get each get a few air dried mealworms every day and occasionally some BOSS and greens. I try to keep the feed at 90% or more of their complete diet. ;)

I have 10 week old chicks and two year old hands and eight month old hands. Feeding different feed was becoming a royal pain :) so I feed the scratch and peck grower and then have Oystershell available for the layers. Once they are all laying eggs I will go back to the scratch and peck layer formula. I feed fermented most of the time, or at least add water so that they get all the nutrients from the powder.

I know it can be a pain to feed two types of feed but I want to get the older gals on crumbles if I can. It's just an experiment. :fl My plan was to just do grower (the youngsters weren't told enough to get layer) as I always have oyster shell available.

So I am getting confused of what to feed the girls. We started with the Purina Layena crumbles and now we use the Purina Layena Omega-3. My girls love it, no waste, and the egg shells are much stronger. I am having a hard time getting this product anymore as the warehouses are always empty and I can't even order it. So then I went to my local feed store and they carry Payback feed which I am researching. Now I'm researching all of the brands you guys have listed. I just want to feed my girls. I was told by the local feed store that the Payback brand is made for specific areas. What is good for the high desert in the NW?

I used purina start & grow medicated for 16 weeks for my sex-links. If I had a pure breed other than white leghorns,I would feed for 18 weeks.
It's the only medicated I can get in 25# bags, cause I only have 5 hens.
My girls are happy and healthy. Have not had a sick girl.
No complaints about purina.
I switched to nutrena naturewise at 16 weeks, mixed 50/50 with the start & grow for 2 weeks.
The girls are 18 weeks 2 days old and doing will, 2 started laying at 4 months and I have a dozen eggs as of today. Still waiting for the other 3.
No complaints about nutrena at 16 days.
So I like both at this time.
Here are my girls taking this week. GC

Thanks for replying. I contacted Purina and what happened is that one place ordered a whole bunch for an event and then left everyone else empty in the area. I got the feed and the girls are happy. :)

Hey that's great, I would try purina layena with omega 3, if they were out of nutrena naturewise or the purina was on sale. I buy my feed at TSC, and it's a 20 mile round trip. I like to keep my feed as fresh as possible, so I wait till I'm down to 15 pounds before I head there to buy. So it's good to have a backup brand in case they're out of the usual brand.
Oh and a third girl laid her first egg yesterday. So only 2 freeloaders left. Here she is,this is Boss. GC

Hi my name is Emily
And for a school project I need to find out the most commen type of chicken food and the most commen brand of chicken food so I need feedback ASAP #1. What is the most commen type of food? #2. What is the most commen brand of food? Thanks so much

Hi my name is Emily
And for a school project I need to find out the most commen type of chicken food and the most commen brand of chicken food so I need feedback ASAP #1. What is the most commen type of food? #2. What is the most commen brand of food? Thanks so much

The most common ingredient is corn...brand I would say purina

Back
Top Bottom