BEST BROWN EGG LAYERS

Ohh and my dad just walked up behind me and suggested in his reasurch isa browns are the best. any comments on that?

know i think there talking about amount of eggs. The leghorns were breed to be in large scale egg production. How ever i wish to sell brown eggs, (and correct me if I'm wrong) not white eggs.

You are correct, leghorns lay white eggs. I know they are advertised as heat tolerant, and their large combs are very susceptible to frostbite, and thus infection if it worsens. I have a minorca, which is arguably more fragile than leghorns, and she did fine in the winter too. There are much hardier birds than leghorns though.

ISA Browns are good birds, but when it comes to hybrids most are just excellent layers. Look at it this way - a chicken can lay 7 eggs a week, and there are a variety that will do that, regardless of their name. ISA Brown, Golden Buff, Red Sex Link...all the same if you ask me. (ISA Brown is a type of red sex link)

Keep in mind, as I stated before though, hybrids are more prone to health issues because of the excessive laying. You don't want to be in a position where a good number of your flock is dying off in year two...

Last edited:
Whats the average amount of eggs that austrolops, cuckoo marans and RIR produce in a year? And is there any more breeds that might fit in a big scale production?

Whats the average amount of eggs that austrolops, cuckoo marans and RIR produce in a year? And is there any more breeds that might fit in a big scale production?

BA and RIR are listed between 180 and 220 eggs per year on average. Mine always lay well thru chilled and hot temps. Best if supplemental heat/light in winter. Both breeds do great free ranging for me.

What is BA? And I think i might test out a little of every thing. I heard the original buffs orpingtons laid like 300 eggs per year but that has been breed out of them for the looks. So IM going to try some red sex link, BPR, austrolops, and RIR. Possible some cuckoo marans and BAs (still don't no what the heck it is) but i don't know if i want to spend a lot of money in one go maybe later this year ill try some of the other breeds.

I have people that dont believe me that my eggs are home grown and from my foraging chickens, reason: my chickens are leghorns and lay white "supermarket eggs". Also I have sand on my coop floor which makes the chickens feet really clean, which causes my eggs to be super clean.. I have a hard time convincing them they are eggs from my back yard. For that reason I added some red stars to my flock for some brown eggs, so I can understand where you coming from ! :)

Last edited:
What is BA? And I think i might test out a little of every thing. I heard the original buffs orpingtons laid like 300 eggs per year but that has been breed out of them for the looks. So IM going to try some red sex link, BPR, austrolops, and RIR. Possible some cuckoo marans and BAs (still don't no what the heck it is) but i don't know if i want to spend a lot of money in one go maybe later this year ill try some of the other breeds.
You already listed them. BA = Black Austrolops. I believe (Not 100%) there are white strains. The 1st 3 you listed should all lay 220+ eggs per year even hatchery stock. Poultry biz has done a lot of breeding quality out of a lot of breeds like the Buff's. Original DP birds are nearly all different than when they were bred into a breed. Looks eggs or meat. Not all 3 can be found in most birds anymore. Its left to the backyard breeders in most cases to get back to the happy medium they used to be.

I'll reiterate to make this decision easier - Hybrids are the best egg layers available on the market. Australorps and Rhode Island Reds are a close second, and they are heritage, so they will lay longer, however hybrids are the undisputed laying champions. Why is this? They have been bred strictly to lay eggs. They will give you the most production, and I would recommend them because in an egg laying business, production is just about everything.

Buff Orps are good for about 200. They do slow in cold weather. My sex link would lay basically all winter, and the orps were rather light. Now they give about 5 eggs per week, but in the winter each bird gave me 2-3 a week. I was unimpressed. Marans are good layers, but you can get better production with hybrid layers. Unless you want the darker egg shell produced by the Maran, then there really isn't much of a reason to choose them over the hybrids.

Also, I'll add - Buff Orpingtons eat A LOT! I love how fluffy they are, and the bulky build, but they just eat a ton. Sex links are definitely more efficient feeders.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom