BEST BROWN EGG LAYERS

I am also thinking in starting a egg bussiness. I plan to sell a few dozens in a farmers market and then start working up as the costumers demands rise. I have different breeds but just ordered white leghorns and black sex links. Right now I have around 15 layers and I ordered 14 more that should arrive this week. I know that's is a really small operation but I want to start small to see how it goes.

Thats actually what I'm doing. starting small and making the demand for the product go up.
thumbsup.gif

I have a small biz going like this. When the girls lay. I have around 65 hens, all free range except breeding pen. And they get a break also. I have 3 weekly customers and anything unsold at the weekend a local restaurant gets. 20+ dz. a week doesn't stretch as far as my customers would like.
I have people interested in young birds as well as birds that are already laying. End of summer I will hopefully be able to breed RIR/BO/BA/WLH/BPR pure and I breed BSL now since I have the correct rooster for them (Which also works for the BA.) All mine are working birds, most locals that work with poultry breeding do so for show. 4H and FFA are rather flooded with these breeders so I went to working class birds.
The bonus of these is also they do well on range. Which mine are only penned for breeding, rest of flock is open to go where they please. They do all know where to run when a feed bucket gets shaken though.
The benefit of having 2 (Or more) breeds that you can cross for sex-linkage is you can, A- Always reproduce next seasons layers and know how many to expect to have. And B- have the ability to be able to sell them sexed at Day old since most people want to buy pullets not cockerels. Since they will not breed true, for a couple generations with culling customers may return yearly for new pullets. So selling sexed pullets can demand a higher price than SR birds. Males can be fattened for meat purposes. Or left to roam with the table eggs flock. I do both.
Good luck on your endeavors.

That is pretty cool!!!!!!!! I WOULD LOVE TO BE A BREEDER!!! But unfortunately there is pretty much no demand for it were i am. They all buy from hatcheries.

f your wanted sheer brown egg production, Barred Rocks would not be your best bet. I have owned Red Stars (red sex link) and managed a hatchery that bred them and they are good layers, but I personally prefer the Black Stars (black sex link) which I have found to be a little friendlier and more docile and and slightly better layers in cold winter weather.

You are right about black sex link chickens. I managed a hatchery that bred them and they are a cross between RIR roosters and Barred Rock hens. In answer to your question, a Buff Orpington X RIR will not make a sex link chick. You can make brown sex links by crossing RIRs and White Rocks, gold sex links (Cinnamon Queens, Golden Buffs) by crossing RIRs and R.I Whites, red sex link (by crossing RIR and Delaware (like dannyisforreal in the beginning of this thread), or in place of the RIR roosters, you can use New Hampshire Reds or Production Reds (examples would be Golden Comets). Also, Bovans Goldline crosses RIR X Light Sussex.

Back
Top Bottom