BEST chicken feed recipe, ever.

Pics

vavavroom

Hatching
11 Years
Nov 18, 2008
I just want to thank Greener Pastures for this chicken feed recipe.

I had been feeding them commercial layer feed and treats. The first eggs didn't taste that good - they looked great, but their taste wasn't kinda gross. So, I bought all of the whole grains from the recipe below and have mixed up a small batch. The girls love it AND their eggs taste completely different and SO much better. It's a completely different egg. (My hens also free range during the day.) I am more convinced now than ever that you are what you eat!

The grains are a little expensive, but you can order them in bulk, and it's completely worth the expense. DELICIOUS.

RECIPE BELOW:

"Ronda's Whole Grain Chicken Feed Recipe

That said, here is the recipe that I devised in '99 and have been improving with additions, but using the ingredients in more or less the same ratio since 1999. Note that all items are whole grains, and certified organic. If you are looking for the cheapest feed, this isn't it. If you are looking for a healthy, natural feed for your flock, this is one way to go!

*** It's not necessary to follow this recipe exactly... just make sure your birds are getting enough protein, which is predominant in the hard red wheat and the legumes. Free-range birds usually find plenty of protein from bugs, etc.

2 parts whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts)
3 parts soft white wheat
3 parts hard red winter wheat
1 part hulled barley
1 part oat groats
1 part sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts)
1 part millet
1 part kamut
1 part amaranth seeds
1 part split peas
1 part lentils
1 part quinoa
1 part sesame seeds
1/2 part flax seeds
1/2 part kelp granules
free choice of granite grit
free choice of oyster shell"

Last edited by a moderator:
digitS' :

From being around here awhile, I am beginning to see how some folks discover these complex recipes for feeding their birds. And, then . . .

Then, they apparently learn that it is too complex and too expensive.

Then, they drop out -- off the forum and maybe out of chicken-keeping.

Just looking at this thread, dates and some of the posters tells me that there was some quick-burning enthusiasm and then that was it. Even some who were around quite awhile or posting a good deal have flared-out. Perhaps, there was too much effort to it all.

We would all like to do the "best" for our birds. But, Heavens! There is virtue in simplicity, too!

Steve

Indeed! What you say is very true..... It is all about what one chooses as "important" in their life.. And yes the degree of importance does change for people over time...I know for a fact my "interests" change regularly. Thankfully we have pre made chicken food for the sake of convenience and saving time for those that feel they need it...... With that said:::::

I will admit I am strongly entrenched in the concept of local agriculture and the back to the land movement. I am a fanatic.. I am passionate about the concept.

My concern is the trend the past 40 years to convenience in our own diets...... "Cooking from scratch is so much work." "Might as well get some fast food or highly processed convenience food."
"Why have a garden? It is time consuming, easier to go to the store."

With unemployment, and the future outlook being what it is I would like to see 30% of the population go back to agriculture.. People making basic livings doing honest work...Yes I dream of a Pre-WWII America.. Enough of the Hummers and SUV's Enough Mc Mansions in the corn fields... I feel we are finding out it is not sustainable.
hide.gif

It is my personal opinion we as a society would be better off with less time for football games and american idol on TV, and spent more time preparing food. We would have better health and need less physiologist, less depression meds, less ADD in our kids, less high blood pressure. Growing and preparing your own food requires sacrifice. However the simple daily rhythm of preparing food can be deeply satisfying to the body and soul. It still is for most cultures of the world..

My sprout and wet mash daily regimen is time consuming indeed.!! Some mornings I think I am nuts.. However, I can always fall back on the home made mix being fed as a dry mash. What keeps me going is my yolk color and flavor. They stand out from the crowd. It is satisfying it makes me "feel" proud and "good"...Also I know what my chickens are eating. I know I am voting with my pocket book, I put what products I think are sustainable in my feed. My dollars do not go to support companies who's policies I disagree with. I am not supporting an industry I feel needs to change...

If enough people take action, and make the sacrifice of time for their ideals change is inevitable.. In a capitalistic society I feel the most important vote you cast is with your pocketbook.....
wink.png

Be well
ON​

Last edited:
I'm all for people doing thier own thing. As for myself, when I first started raising chickens/turkeys/ducks/peafowl I tried every kind of feed, and ratios in the book. Medications in the water, and feed, etc and every remedy for the different issues I encountered. The trouble was because I was new I had no opinion and was reading everyone else's and had no clue which one to follow. I didn't have a forum like this one to find info.

So after much trial and error and TONS of frustration and pulling out my hair I decided to go 100% free range. The only thing I fed them was cracked corn on occasion in the winter, and left out water even though they drank a lot from the creek that ran through my property. I also would throw out oyster shells from time to time. The result was the healthy and happy birds. I didn't even hatch any eggs. I let the hens do it and let them raise them. Keep in mind that I lived on 5 acres that was surrounded on three sides by woods. So bugs of all kinds were abundant as well as garter snakes. The hens layed consistently all year long.

Now I'm not saying this is the best thing for everyone, or their set up and property. I'm just saying it was right for me. Just like mixing a million things in feed might be the right thing for others. The point is that everyone has thier own opinions, but the minute people start telling them how wrong they are in a not nice way is when people stop posting. Don't get me wrong I think it's great to educate someone if they are doing something that isn't beneficial or may do harm. But for one person to criticize another just for the sake of criticizing helps no one and only serves to run people away.

Believe you me I know what it is to deal with " newbies" in other areas ( I've been a breeder and exhibitor of Great Danes for 17yrs) but I also haven't forgotten what it was like to BE a newbie either, and I think people forget that. No one is born an expert in anything, and everything in life is a continual learning process. But the minute a person thinks they know it all or have no more to learn they need to step back and examine things.

JMHO as a person new to this site. Education doesn't = criticism. By the same token though, those who are new should always try and learn from those more experienced. The quickest way to upset or offend someone who has been " in the trenches" for years is to be a know it all and instant expert. The smartest thing someone that's new to anything can do is to ask questions and learn from other peoples mistakes.

I hope no one is offended by my post. Please take in in the spirit it was intended which was just an observation from one who has been on both sides of the newbie/experienced fence.
:)
Rebekah

True enough (re: greens and calcium %s).

I have been picking this recipe apart to see what all is in it and, I'm going to have to assume that if this is solely for adult chickens, given the sesame seeds and the protien content. Is that correct?

I went through and found a replacement for the sesame seeds that would give much less in the way of calcium but more in the way of protien to change it out for a grower feed. I am figuring any missing protien in this to be supplemented by their ranging (given their vociferious and prodigious attacks on all things creepy crawly, they are most likely making up the rest out in the pasture). However, I find myself concerned that this may not be the case.

When I compare the protein % based on overall weights (grams), it comes out to ~20%. This works for starter feed, yes? A minor adjustment, later, to drop the protein levels puts you right where you need to be for grower protien %s.

Anyway, I'm hoping that's the way you figure it; because, if you have to figure it based on caloric consumption - well, let's just say the numbers get ugly fast.

Thanks so much.
Kili

PS: Info gathered and my tweak for my babies with nutritional info based on 1g (kl = calories, P = protien, % C = calcium, % vitC = vitamin C):

whole corn (in winter this is increased to 3 or 4 parts) 102kl/3g P/0% C (nothing special)
soft white wheat 95kl/3g P/1% C/8% iron (phosphorus and manganese)
hard red winter wheat 92kl/4g P/1% C/5% iron (manganese and selenium)
hemp seeds (shelled) 162kl/10g P/0% C/15% iron (zinc and magnesium)
hulled barley 99kl/3g P/1% C (thiamin, selenium and manganese)
oat groats 108kl/5g P/1% C/7% iron (nothing special)
sunflower seeds (in winter this is increased to 2 parts) 164kl/6g P/2% C/8% iron/1% vitC (thiamin, b6, magnesium, phosphorus, copper, manganese, selenium, vitamin E (Alpha Tocopherol))
millet 106kl/3g P/0% C/5% iron (manganese)
kamut 94kl/4g P/1% C/7% iron (thiamin, manganese, phosphorus and selenium)
amaranth seeds 104kl/4g P/4% C/12% iron/2% vitC (magnesium, phosphorus, manganese)
split peas 95kl/7g P/2% C/7% iron/1% vitC (thiamin, folate, phosphorus, copper and manganese)
lentils 99kl/7g P/2% C/12% iron/2% vitC (thiamin, phosphorus, manganese and folate)
chickpeas 102kl/5g P/3% C/10% iron/2% vitC (copper, folate and manganese)
quinoa 103kl/4g P/1% C/7% iron (folate, magnesium, phosphorus and manganese)
pumpkin seeds 151kl/7g P/1% C/23% iron/1% vitC (phosphorus, zinc, potassium, copper, selenium, b12 and manganese)
flax seeds 150kl/5g P/7% C/9% iron (magnesium, phosphorus, copper, thiamin and manganese)
kelp granules 12kl/0g P/5% C/4% iron (high sodium content and trace minerals needed by poultry)
Safflower seed kernels 145kl/5g P/2% C/8% iron (thiamin, b6, magnesium, phosphorus, copper and manganese)
granite grit
------------------------------
sesame seeds 160kl/5g P/27% C/23% iron (magnesium, copper, manganese and phosphorus)
oyster shells

Last edited:
Here in Mexico, where cock fighting is a national pastime, there are all kinds of organic mixes of grains. And there is laying formula - which make the chickens lay fast and furious. But the laying formula is full of stimulents and hormones. All the store bought eggs come from this feed. They taste just like store bought eggs.

I keep chickens so that my family can eat organic healthy eggs - if they do not lay an egg a day - well I know that the ones they do lay are good for us.

Looking at the recipie posted if the chickens are free range, I think that with just the normal grains they do very well. The wheat seems to be the secret for better eggs. AS in all grain fed animals corn goes right to abdominal fat. My girls leave the green split peas - all of them - chickens, ducks, turkeys and geese. Have not put oats in their diet but will try it.

The hens have not started layiing as of yet - I expect them to start in the next month - the ducks and I suspect the geese have started and the turkeys are going really strong - so much so that we will be eating their eggs instead of leaving to hatch.

As soon as the hens start laying I will fiddle with the feed in a sientific manner ( I was an investigator ) so I can judge what is the best for the eggs.

The last time I had chickens they lived on cut greens ( not free range ) and I gave them the best cock grain feed I could buy - the most pssiblemixed grains - and the eggs were very good. Right now I have them with millit, corn and wheat free range with plenty of fresh green grass and weeds plus all the bugs they can find.

Sooo glade to be here and see all your input.

smile.png

From being around here awhile, I am beginning to see how some folks discover these complex recipes for feeding their birds. And, then . . .

Then, they apparently learn that it is too complex and too expensive.

Then, they drop out -- off the forum and maybe out of chicken-keeping.

Just looking at this thread, dates and some of the posters tells me that there was some quick-burning enthusiasm and then that was it. Even some who were around quite awhile or posting a good deal have flared-out. Perhaps, there was too much effort to it all.

We would all like to do the "best" for our birds. But, Heavens! There is virtue in simplicity, too!

Steve

Last edited:
I totally agree with Organic. I am doing the same. I did not get chicken fever one day. I've been working into this over a couple of years. I do a similar real food recipe for my chicks and it does make a huge difference in taste and quality. I don't do processed food for myself. This is unfortunate because I was not inspired but forced through GI medical issues that they have not been able to treat but real home cooked food without pesticide works for me. Have gerd, ibs, ibd, chrones, etc? I highly suggest looking at your intake. I have a very limited ability to take in food so I have to maximize the vitamins I get from it. My quail eggs have 4-5 times the value of a grocery store egg 4 times its size. I make the recipe once a week and put them in jars in the freezer. I assemble it while I am cleaning the kitchen so it adds little more than a few minutes. The biggest hassle is hunting down the ingredients initially. My recipe would make a very good bland casserole if I baked it. When I make it I am constantly snacking on it. I find that reassuring that I can eat what I give them since I will eat them or their eggs. I will have more garden space installed by next year to produce more of it myself further reducing my cost. After that the initial costs are null and they will be self sustaining for the most part. I won't have to keep selling my soul to Purina indefinitely.

Oh, and i haven't had a tv in about a decade!

Last edited:
Keep this conversation going, guys. This is very very interesting and informative.

For those who make their own feed, please share what you do. I would really like to see and learn!

New to forum, and while raised on a ranch, we raised meat animals and milked cows. Now that I am married to a city boy, nearly ten years of fighting the city council, finally got the hens up and running four years ago. Now I only have half an acre for the hens, so I only maintain a single dozen, except in the spring when I am rearing half of the replacement hens and harvest half of the previous years hens. Yes, I know they will lay eggs longer, but the meat gets so darned tough.

Having said all this, you can take what I say with a grain of salt. I once used an organic grain mix, (not scratch), even though every single month I went in, the price would raise by about $2 per 50 lb bag. I happily went along until one day I went in and the feed store no longer carried the organic food any longer. Here I was purchasing a months supply because everything I read said that the degredation of quality and nutrients of older grains was not good. Had I known that I was the only one purchasing the original shipment the feed store had, I might not have purchased it so long. Anyhow, since I was the only one according to the store that ever purchased the feed, they had no intention in ordering more just for me.

The hens are free range on their little 1/2 acre. They have their coop they like to sleep in and lay their eggs. In various locations around the yard they have what I call "day pens" where they have an opening large enough to enter and exit, its covered on the top and one side to provide shade/protection from the elements....its a cute little "city chicken" set up........But when my option was to pay $50 per 50lb bag (by the time you purchase the grain and pay shipping).

Then Gaga, my rather "blinged" hen turned more wild than all her domesticated sisters showed me the light. She would wait till everyone was sleeping, then run under the rabbit cages and hunt for worms until the others got curious as to what she was doing. Hmm, okay, they like worms, so we ordered a worm bin, which turned into a tilled up, floor board over the top---OMG keeps the coop a little warmer from the compost section and the other half worm section. While her sisters were all busy snuggled up in the coop when winter hit, there was Gaga, up in her tree, under a thick branch that kept the snow off of her.....she finally settled in the rafter of the windsurfing shed during the coldest winter nights. Gaga prefers to forage and scratch for her food and doesn't really take to the feeder. I gave her all sorts of complicated recipes and supplements and made all kinds of time hogging special cakes of this and that for her. One day as I was grumbling to myself about all the fruit flies in the new batch of red wheat I got for my wheat grass juice......coupled with Gaga's desire to be a wild little hen......I realized that I failed to understand WHY I was working so hard. I tossed the rest of the seeds into greenhouse flats and grow one for each day through the winter months. Now they get one red wheat, one teff and one various other treat, sometimes sprouted sunflowers, sometimes sprouted peas....they love adzuki bean sprouts. Yes, they love their feed containers (some of them) but they ate very little of what I provided in the summer, rather all they wanted was fresh water and to forage all summer long. So out came the turf, replaced with things such as teff grass, oats, barley, red winter wheat, rye, barley-----all set up in cute little gardens all around the yard......the hens feed themselves. The mullberries that drop from the trees----they love em....as for the strawberry patch, lets just say I haven't eaten a home grown strawberry since they discovered them. Rather than ground cover and flower bushes, we have planted food sources for the hens. The yard looks great, we have parties and everyone always compliments. We grow them at various heights, with various lawn ornaments, mow certain areas, leave some a little more on the wild side. I harvest some so that I can provide them with good forage grains in the winter....but just as I eat seasonal, so do the hens. The shells are thick, well shaped and the yolks are so deep they look nearly red, not orange---certainly not lemon yellow like the store varieties.

The bottom line is keeping your hens happy and healthy. Mine prefer to free range with a treat each day of scratch. They love to be wild, sleeping in the trees in the yard, chasing the worms we have cultured all over for them......Nature once fed them without special bags and lotions and potions and they were healthy.......so rather than forcing that first wild hen to domesticate and be like me, I let her make me a little wild....and now, she gets to have her cake and eat it too.......AND free range like she was once allowed to be. I realize that creating a micro climate of "bird foods" growing live around the yard might not be for everyone.....but all summer long, I fill the feeder up once with 25 pounds of food-----they don't eat from it, but the wild sparrows do....nope those hens love hanging out in the long grasses eating the oats, teff, wheats, barley and fruits from the trees and berries from the bushes.............they will get around to eating that "store bought food" only when they have to...aka when winter hits and the forage options are reduced.

That looks awfully complicated. I'd think once you combine all those things, it would rather cost-prohibitive.

But I don't doubt for a second it would result in great-tasting eggs.

Back
Top Bottom