Best chickens for Texas humidity?

We are in Texas (Odessa) and have had wonderful success with our red-sex link girls. Ours are from Privett (New Mexico). Its extremely dry here and don't have the humidity factor but the heat factor is there for sure!
smile.png
Turkens/Naked Necks are working great for us too. Our Partridge girls and EE bantam slowed down/stopped this winter but I feel its more of a lighting issue and if we were to supplement light they would have kept it up. Your best bet might be to call a Texas hatchery (Ideal) and find out who their best layers are. Since most hatcheries have been breeding their own lines for decades I feel it's safe to say their birds/lines are acclimated to your area. That being said, many birds shipped from Texas do great in Alaska and vise versa. It's just a theory.

A good Mediteranian breed that does not lay as much as Leghorn or Minacora but is still a healthy layer and of interesting color (still over 200 a year).

Andalusion is the original blue bird that when bred gives blue, black and splash color. If you find a good pure breeder of this type you will have birds with excellent lacing. And the other two colors all in one breed.

Remember to breed forward to the lacing if you go this way.

ETA: Random pic of quality lacing from internet of Andalusion (Likely a show winner here, was the nicest pic I could find fast).

d23da0ab_AndaluzRibeteado.jpeg

Last edited:
We are in Texas (Odessa) and have had wonderful success with our red-sex link girls.  Ours are from Privett (New Mexico).  Its extremely dry here and don't have the humidity factor but the heat factor is there for sure! :)   Turkens/Naked Necks are working great for us too.  Our Partridge girls and EE bantam slowed down/stopped this winter but I feel its more of a lighting issue and if we were to supplement light they would have kept it up.  Your best bet might be to call a Texas hatchery (Ideal) and find out who their best layers are.  Since most hatcheries have been breeding their own lines for decades I feel it's safe to say their birds/lines are acclimated to your area.  That being said, many birds shipped from Texas do great in Alaska and vise versa.  It's just a theory.

Hey im new to texas(Midland) would you know where to get chicks atbthis time of year or what the hatchiers names are ?

Quote: There's a feed store in Odessa off of Golder that might still be carrying chicks, I believe its called Circle C. I've seen a couple of listings on Craigslist recently for month old chicks for about $6 each, which is a good price for the area for chicks off of heat. Ideal poultry is in Texas but is a 2 day shipment to here, Privett is in New Mexico and you will get them the next day. Meyer Hatchery, I'm not sure where it is, is having a special on no shipping for 15 or more assorted brown egg pullets with 3 June ship dates. Hope this helps! Welcome to Texas! Please don't judge all of Texas by the Odessa/Midland area. We are from outside of Austin and this is not the part of Texas MOST Texans are speaking of when they say how much they love it! lol

Back
Top Bottom