Best Dewormer For the Backyard Flock

Do you know if there is something to treat the ground so as not to re-infest my ladies after a worming? My neighbor also has chickens but he prefers when they come here to eat they spend all day in my yard and I know he is not worming. so If i could treat the ground that would make me feel better as well. However to do that I would most likely kill all my beneficial s and garden worms also hunh?
Worm eggs are everywhere in the soil, on the soil, on grass etc...it's impossible to get rid of them. Look up a diagram of roundworm lifecycle and you'll understand how easy it is for chickens to pick up infective eggs. One roundworm lays thousands of eggs in one day, then the eggs are excreted onto/into the soil. Rotating pasture, keeping grass cut short, and keeping everything as dry as possible are good deterents. Some folks lime soil in chicken pens, but some types of lime will burn the chickens feet and can be a problem if inhaled. I've never used lime, I prefer sand in my pens, 5-6 inches deep. However it's best to set up a routine worming schedule keeping your soil conditions in mind. I worm my birds every 3 months, sometimes sooner when it rains alot like last year. Keep in mind that insects can carry worm eggs as well; ants, flies, termites, earthworms, beetles, grasshoppers, snails, wild bird droppings etc etc etc.

Is there a dewormer that is in the water or food that is effective? Also how long do you have to throwaway the eggs after using dewormer?

Some folks have used Wormout Gel. I've never used it. You can type "Wormout Gel" in the BYC search box and see what comes up and read about it if you wish.

There is a gel added to water and capsules. I've used the gel. It mixes well in drinkers and is about 6 ml to each quart of water. There are cheaper ways to go when 250 ml is $45. Compared to a 500 ml of Valbazen at the same price, I'd say Wormout is not the better deal. 20g/L Praziquantel, 20g/L Oxfendazole would knock out all worms, but Valbazen is more economical and easier to find in the US. The gel will work in warm weather when birds drink more, or you can syringe feed according to directions on the label. The Wormout pills are designed for pigeons, so 2 to 3 tabs are required for a standard breed chicken.

Wazine 17 unless they are hens for eating and then idk i se mine for breeding mostly and i give them a green pill or like 3x the dose of wazine

I've used ACV and my birds still got worms. It's misinformation that apple cider vinegar prevents worms, not even somewhat effective. Here's a thread for you to read that BYC member Michael Apple explains why it's ineffective:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/780568/another-reason-probiotics-are-favored-over-acv

Valbazen liquid cattle/sheep wormer is the best wormer on the market for chickens. It slowly kills worms over several days preventing toxic dead worm overload due to internal worm blockage. It kills all types of worms chickens can get including flukes. Administer it using a syringe without a needle. Dosage is 1/2cc orally undiluted for standard size birds, 1/4cc for smaller birds. Repeat dosing 10 days later. If tapeworm segments are seen in feces, it will require a different worming procedure with the valbazen.
You can worm chicks as early as 8 weeks old, IF they've been on the same soil. How often or when you worm your birds depends on soil conditions. If the soil is warm moist/wet, frequent wormings may be required. Cool, cold soil or rocky mountainous soil may require less frequent worming. It's the same for hot desertlike soil/sand.

Benzamidazoles are worth the time. When your birds get run down from using vinegar as a dewormer, you can post here and I'll give you some guidance. Meanwhile, here is something to read: http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2440&Itemid=2701
Unless you plan on pickling birds, vinegar is not essential in any way.

Thanks for posting the great information.

Back
Top Bottom