best hatchery to purchase dark cornish?

I,ve been looking for DC for a while and from what I red and researched Cackle Hatchery has the best strain as far as hatcheries go. Unfortunately Cackle did not sell any DK chicks this season (2015). I called them asking why and they would not give straight answer, just typical BS "they are not available this year".

As far as Stromberg and Murray is concerned I would not buy any birds from them cause they are just a chicken "brokers" they do not hatch anything. Why buy overpriced merchandise from a middlemen?

From my experience with hatcheries over the last 10 years the best were Cackle, Mrhealthy and Mayers. Ideal was barely acceptable but that is the biggest chicken "factory" of them all.

So I am waiting for Cackle new offerings for 2016 and if they have Dark Cornish available I am going to order as soon as they are available.

dark Cornish roosters and hens all 5months old from Murray McMurry

dark Cornish roosters and hens all 5months old from Murray McMurry
We didn't get any roos, but have 13 DC hens from McMurray and are very happy with them. 7 of them went broody their first year and are great mothers. Good foragers and healthy. No problems at all.

Last edited:
I,ve been looking for DC for a while and from what I red and researched Cackle Hatchery has the best strain as far as hatcheries go. Unfortunately Cackle did not sell any DK chicks this season (2015). I called them asking why and they would not give straight answer, just typical BS "they are not available this year".

As far as Stromberg and Murray is concerned I would not buy any birds from them cause they are just a chicken "brokers" they do not hatch anything. Why buy overpriced merchandise from a middlemen?

From my experience with hatcheries over the last 10 years the best were Cackle, Mrhealthy and Mayers. Ideal was barely acceptable but that is the biggest chicken "factory" of them all.

So I am waiting for Cackle new offerings for 2016 and if they have Dark Cornish available I am going to order as soon as they are available.
I've never purchased from Stromberg's, but from what I understand Murray McMurray has their own hatchery. You can take an online tour of it and the TV show "How It's Made" did a show about their hatchery.

We've purchase many chicks from McMurray and have never had any problems with them. We purchased 13 DC chicks from them and have been very happy with the girls.

Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong about them having their own hatchery...

yes I have 7 dk hens and 2 dk roosters the hens are sweet as can be
They're some of my favorites! The most dedicated mothers and very sweet girls. I have one (Esmerelda) that flies up to my shoulder when I bring treats. She knows she'll get extra up there. Lol!

I expected them to be a bit mean by looking at the pictures of them, but they aren't. They're really good layers too, the eggs aren't huge, but they are very consistent.

Anyone got any suggestions for ordering Dark Cornish this year? Cackle does not have them for 2019. Not sure why they would take productive breed off the market for the entire year.

Anyone order from Ideal hatchery?
I've read on here about Meyer and McMurray having small birds. I am looking for good stock to hatch my own meat birds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom