Best incubator under $400?

cshma11

Chirping
Dec 2, 2016
Illinois
I got some money toward a new incubator because we are having all kinds of issues with our Little Giant 9300 - temperature spikes and dips no matter what we try with the settings, that has either cooked the eggs or gotten them too cold or both. I'm giving up on it.

I am looking at the Brinsea Octagon 20 Advance, but I wanted to know if there was something better for the same price range or less? I'm doing coturnix quail eggs, possibly button quail and bantams in the future, if that makes much of a difference. Oh, and not very many at a time so I don't need anything huge. The octagon 20 will provide more than enough space. Hopefully that's enough info? I'm happy to answer any questions to get a best answer :)

I absolutely love my Brinsea Eco 20. It's incredibly reliable and has never given me trouble yet. I've even been able to use it to hatch in below zero weather outside in a coop and it handled that fine. I'm sure the advance could handle all that plus has better controls.

Last edited:
I ended up getting the Ovation 28 EX. So far my only issue is that the little alarm keeps going off (it's not super loud so it's not disruptive) even though the temps and humidity are staying steady. I've looked through the manual several times and I don't see what would be causing this. It seems to go off every time the humidity kicks in, even though the levels aren't off, it's like it's notifying me that it's turning on the humidity pump? I'm not sure... 10 more days until hatching starts and I will know more about how the hatch rates are :)

I too agree on the Brinsea
big_smile.png
I have the octagon advance EX with humidity pump and it has been excellent. Very reliable and no stress from it at all. A total set and forgot incubator. Brinsea also have a new range out now on sale ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...and-expanded-mini-and-ovation-incubators/0_30

Hmmm... Maxi II EX, Ovation 28 EX, or Octagon 20 EX? They're all in a similar price range with the sale. I guess Ovation holds the most, but since it's so new, I wonder if it holds steady temps as well as the Octagon?

Hmmm... Maxi II EX, Ovation 28 EX, or Octagon 20 EX? They're all in a similar price range with the sale. I guess Ovation holds the most, but since it's so new, I wonder if it holds steady temps as well as the Octagon?
Not sure that brinsea would risk its reputation by making shabby bators - we need some guinea pigs though
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom