Best knee walls for run

Bcampo

Chirping
Jan 19, 2019
Baltimore, Maryland
hi all,
I’m building a 12x20 raised run that will have a CR 6 base about 4 inches for good drainage and on top of that I want to use the deep litter method. What boarding would be best for the sides to contain it all. I’ve priced cedar and it’s so expensive!
And how high do you suggest I have these walls? Thank you!!

I use Treated Landscape timbers. on my flower bed enclosures. You can double them up to achieve the height desired.
timber.PNG

Less ka$h than cedar. They look good, and neat. Last at least 5 years or better.
I drill holes and pound/drive thin re-bar to secure into ground.
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and :welcome

My entire coop and run is constructed with pressure treated wood. Hasn't affected a chicken yet except for giving them a nice, dry place to live. Folks' concern about pressure treated wood is misinformed.

hi all,
I’m building a 12x20 raised run that will have a CR 6 base about 4 inches for good drainage and on top of that I want to use the deep litter method. What boarding would be best for the sides to contain it all. I’ve priced cedar and it’s so expensive!
And how high do you suggest I have these walls? Thank you!!
Does the ground of the run site already have standing water/drainage problems?
If so, gravel won't really help.
Will your 'deep litter' be to create good garden soil or just ameliorate poop odors?

How tall to make the 'walls' may depend on how deep your litter is,
might not even need solid walls.
I lined my run with 1/2" hardware cloth 2' high to keep litter (and chicks) contained.
full

Hi Arrt,
No standing water as it is on a gentle slope. Haven’t built the run yet but want to do it right to prevent mud in the future. After reading more about it last nite, I’m thinking 1x10 pressure treated boards all around attached to the 4x4 posts.
I want the dlm for odor and compost. What do you think?

To be fair, gravel will help drainage if you do it like a French tile and dig down. Then you'd put a large clean rock down, topped with a 1" clean rock, then your CA-6 :) But that's neither here nor there since the OP says it's not an issue.

Hi Arrt,
No standing water as it is on a gentle slope. Haven’t built the run yet but want to do it right to prevent mud in the future. After reading more about it last nite, I’m thinking 1x10 pressure treated boards all around attached to the 4x4 posts.
I want the dlm for odor and compost. What do you think?
If it already slopes nicely I wouldn't bother with the gravel,
added cost and labor and something you may mightily regret in the future.

I use multi sized wood chunks for odor control and it works great....
.....'making soil' is a whole other ballgame that I do not play,
but I would avoid wood if I did.

Back
Top Bottom