Best Pets

For pet qualities only - my favorite ducks are Pekins, Buffs, and Anconas.

I really recommend you get waterfowl from Metzer Farms instead of Stromberg's.

For geese I was thinking either American buff or Pilgrim, but not really sure on those either. Never delt with geese before.
Oh...geese are wonderful!!! I have Embdens, Toulouse and a single Chinese gander. I can't speak for the other breeds but for the ones I have? Oh yeah! They are awesome, wonderful and sometimes bratty, flat footed buddies. I told my husband the other day that if I had known about geese and ducks before my son was born....lol! Don't mind me, I've been bitten hard with the love for these animals.

edited for spelling,sigh.

Last edited:
Just curious, but why metzers instead of strombergs? So geese make better pets than ducks? how much louder are they though?

Just received runner ducklings from metzers ca to va in less than 48 hrs. Very pleased with them had one pass today but think she was not meant to thrive. Other 4 doing great. Have also had good luck with ducks for backyards. Just got runners so not sure on disposition but they are sweet hearts of all my past ducklings (Pekins, buffs, black Swedish, & white crested) were not as friendly, these guys (runners) are nuts about us. Don't get me wrong they were sweet babes as well but something about theses hens. Black Swedish are very pretty but very particular like little divas have one if I touch or hold her she immediately goes and bathes. I no u might not be interested but my 2 buff hens are 4 mon. old and are the most calm and gentle very curious but they are lovely girls a real loving side to them. Whatever breed u decide its like Amiga said its the time you spend w/ them and treats really help. Gave my 4 day olds some finely chopped bok choy yesterday and now they love me to death.

Nice! The only thing about metzers is, I dont think they have magpie ducks and their one of my top choices right now.

I have 2 Australian Spotted ducks in my flock and they are the friendliest ducks I have owned. I used to have Silver Appleyards and the Aussie's are so much friendlier. They are a bantam duck and a ton of fun to raise. It is super fun to watch them fly around the yard and follow me around.

Gotcha I to was thinking magpie later in life but can't find them were they sex them got 3 drakes and that's a plenty just want hens.

Back
Top Bottom