best place to get these birds?

college town chick

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 4, 2008
After reading quite a few reviews of different hatcheries and doing some homework on pricing, etc. I've found that two factors seem to come into play:

1)some breeds are better from certain hatcheries
2)it's better to look for a hatchery that's close = less transit time (hopefully) for the chicks
3)it's really best to buy from a breeder if you can, but perhaps that should be left to the chick "pros"

So, with that in mind:

What would be the best place for me to purchase these breeds, with close transit to central IL?:

Barred Rock
Speckled Sussex
Easter Eggers/Ameraucanas
Buff Orps

*Those four are the ones I've chosen as most likely the best for my situation. I've toyed around with getting Welsummers or barnevelders or Red Caps or Delwares or Wyandottes or something else as a "just for fun", but the four I listed are my principle chick picks.

I cannot tell you who is "best" but if I personally were adding BR or orps to my flock, I would contact speckledhen (Cynthia). For Ameraucanas I would contact Pips & Peeps (Jean). I don't know anyone breeding SS, though. These are just my own personal preferences.

Good luck with your new flock!

big_smile.png

Quote:
I disagree. I think you will be much happier if you decide to go with breeders. My hatchery girls were always small and died easily. My breeder birds are huge and healthy and vigorous and great layers. Hatching eggs is easy and you can get an incubator and turner for as little as $80. It is more fun to hatch.

Jody (Hinkjc) sells BEAUTIFUL Buff Orpingtons and True Araucana (Araucana are way better than EEs IMO). Jody and Charlie sell and ship both hatching eggs and day old chicks.

Cynthia (speckled hen) has wonderful Barred Rocks with the sweetest temperament, they are very loving chickens. Cynthia only sells hatching eggs.

Katy (Katy) may have Speckled Sussex hatching eggs in the spring. I have seen photos of her rooster and he is STUNNING! (Speckled Sussex are one of my favorite breeds)

Jean (Pips&Peeps) has True Ameraucana in many colors (Ameraucana like Araucana are way better than EEs IMO). I know she ships hatching eggs, she may ship day old chicks.

As for the others you mentioned Mothergoose and Aussie Sharon have Welsumers. Janet (Seriousbill) has Delawares. Julie (The Farmers Wife) has Barnevelders. Julie (Bammachicken) has Opringtons in Buff, Blue, Black and Splash.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Thanks so much! I don't really need show quality chickens; we have enough on our plate with just caring for all our animals, plus kids! But I would like very good utility quality chickens that are healthy and sound. So far, it looks like the breeders do a better job of providing that -- but as stated, I wouldn't know a good chicken from a poor one (I can tell if they're feeling off and that's about it) and would be at the mercy of whoever I buy from. I'm sure that the chicken world is much like the horse and dog world in regards to who's who to get animals from -- I can advise folks on horses and dogs, but chickens are the ones I need advice on!

I agree with most of the sudjestions, however I know some of those listed do not SHIP chicks, so if you want from the above you will need to be willing to hatch eggs.

Eek! Yet another question and conundrum for me -- to incubate or not?
lol.png
Now I've got that decision to bug you all with!

Seconding Herechickchick's recommendation of Superior Farms. They offer all the breeds you're looking for except the Ameraucanas. They have a 25 chick minimum order, and a 6 chick max on some breeds (but not BRs and BOs). They also ship eggs for all breeds. I just talked to the poultry manager and was told they'll start shipping in early February.

PS: Incubating is fun -- but having to reduce the flock at some point can be heartbreaking if you get too attached.
wink.png

Last edited:
Does this Superior Farms have a website?

I ran down a list of hatcheries within 8 hours of where I live, can anyone tell me the pros and cons of these places?

Murray McMurray
Cackle
Sand Hill
Shady Lane
welp
Hoovers
Docorah
Sun Ray
Henpecked
Schlecht
Country/Estes

I'm going to have to think about it -- the incubating part. It all comes down to being a first-timer really, and how much time/money that would be in comparison to getting chicks from a hatchery -- which would be the most feasible for me. I definitely think breeders probably would be the better way to go quality wise, but I don't know if I'm ready yet to be incubating eggs. As for the possiblity of getting a bunch of roosters -- I could see that being a bit daunting the first time out for me; I can't have roos at all due to town rules, and I'm sure the neighbors wouldn't be at all pleased (hens who give eggs and goats who give goat's milk soap are ok;))

Back
Top Bottom