Best Substance for Sealing Inside Coop Crevices and Joints?

tlatham72

Songster
May 6, 2019
Travelers Rest, SC
Hi all.

I searched the forums for past discussion of my question, but I couldn't find exactly what I'm wondering about. If this has been discussed at length in the past, feel free to point me to those discussions.

My coop is a newly purchased 10x16 shed that I'm converting to 1/2 garden area and 1/2 coop area. The two areas will be divided by a wall with partial screen and partial wood panels and will have a human sized screen door. The first task of my interior conversion is to seal all crevices, joints, corners, etc. inside the building (for example, where boards and walls or boards and floors come together). My goal is to prevent close up all areas where spiders, fleas, mice, bugs, etc. can enter the building or hide once inside the building. I'm attempting to prevent infestations that would be difficult to rid the building of. I do plan to seal the entire inside of the building in this way, not just the coop side of the building. My building is set on blocks and will have a brick skirt added, but will definitely shift and settle some over time.

• What is the best substance to use for this task of sealing cracks, joints, and crevices?
I'm considering everything from liquid rubber to caulk to great stuff.​
I'd love to hear from people who have done this to their coops and the pros and cons of what they used.​

Of note:​
  • I do plan to coat the entire inside of the building with something like outdoor semi or gloss paint or installation of fiberglass type board for easy cleanup, but whatever I decide for this would go OVER THE TOP of the substance I use to seal all of the crevices and joints.
  • I'm not asking about water-proofing or predator proofing, though I will be doing those things as well.
  • I'm also not worried about ventilation as those areas will be planned and added as intentional open areas.
Thanks for you feedback!
Tammy

Howdy neighbor! (Clinton)
I didn’t seal all the joints myself, I used shipping crate boards and made it look like an old time building.
on the inside I mixed up whitewash and bought a cheap harbor freight sprayer and blasted everything with it.
It has done a great job keeping the bugs down.
I also deep mulch in the coop.
5D545E56-19EA-4D7E-9A5F-8969D071831B.jpeg

Howdy neighbor! (Clinton)
I didn’t seal all the joints myself, I used shipping crate boards and made it look like an old time building.
on the inside I mixed up whitewash and bought a cheap harbor freight sprayer and blasted everything with it.
It has done a great job keeping the bugs down.
I also deep mulch in the coop.View attachment 2240305
Super cute coop. Looks like an owl.

Hi all.

I searched the forums for past discussion of my question, but I couldn't find exactly what I'm wondering about. If this has been discussed at length in the past, feel free to point me to those discussions.

My coop is a newly purchased 10x16 shed that I'm converting to 1/2 garden area and 1/2 coop area. The two areas will be divided by a wall with partial screen and partial wood panels and will have a human sized screen door. The first task of my interior conversion is to seal all crevices, joints, corners, etc. inside the building (for example, where boards and walls or boards and floors come together). My goal is to prevent close up all areas where spiders, fleas, mice, bugs, etc. can enter the building or hide once inside the building. I'm attempting to prevent infestations that would be difficult to rid the building of. I do plan to seal the entire inside of the building in this way, not just the coop side of the building. My building is set on blocks and will have a brick skirt added, but will definitely shift and settle some over time.

• What is the best substance to use for this task of sealing cracks, joints, and crevices?
I'd love to hear from people who have done this to their coops and the pros and cons of what they used.​

• I do plan to coat the entire inside of the building with something like outdoor semi or gloss paint or installation of fiberglass type board for easy cleanup, but whatever I decide for this would go OVER THE TOP of the substance I use to seal all of the crevices and joints.
  • I'm not asking about water-proofing or predator proofing, though I will be doing those things as well.
  • I'm also not worried about ventilation as those areas will be planned and added as intentional open areas.
Thanks for you feedback!
Tammy

I used latex caulk. So far in the 10 years in town (and a few new bigger coops) no one has picked at the caulking. My coops are painted inside with latex house paint in eggshell finish.

eggshell finish
🙌 😂

Hi all.

Thanks for you feedback!
Tammy

Might be obvious, but make sure you use some kind of paintable substance. Lots of sealants like what you are looking for are not paintable like silicone. I would get a couple tubes of latex caulk if I wanted to do what you are planning, but also I wouldn't worry about it because I find caulking frustrating and time consuming. But you do you. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom