Best type of roost? Weigh in with your design opinion.

Hey Anira, how high up are your rafters? My coop is 8x8x8 so the rafters would be 8ft up...i'm hoping they don't reach that!

The rafters are probably 8 feet up (point of the roof would be about 10 feet up), but the coop used to be a shed, so there are shelves built in to two of the walls that they use to get up there. Let me see if I have a pic somewhere... I think they highest I've ever seen one of my birds jump/fly is 5+ feet, and that was my d'Uccle hen.

For all of you chicken nuts, myself included, just an observation from everyone's post's and pictures, do you realize that although you think painting the inside of your coops is a good thing, maybe so if you are covering osb or plywood, which both contain none organic chemicals in the glue used adhere the wood chips or layers together, I worked in a plant that made both materials,sometimes our eyes would burn from fumes until dried, how ever some of those fumes will be released under wet or humid conditions, i think it is better for your chickens if you use untreated boards or metal siding where possible for everything but the floors and then you would paint it, i will be using natural dirt for my floor.I want chemical free chickens. I am old school, comments welcome

Type in soy based wood sealant in your search bar, you can use a spray bottle to apply it on a warm day to allow for drying before your chickens go in at night, i wouldn't be too concerned with the floor, just the walls and ceiling

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom